Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
So, I'm at my grandparent's computer which is running OSX. I'm not used to it since I dont personally have OSX and have come across a problem I cannot solve. Im trying to help them and this is the first time I've ever had a problem I couldnt solve.

They like to use Netscape and are using netscape 6. everything used to work fine when I set it up but now when they try to use the email they get this "!" and that's it. That is the entire window. When I put the "!" in the dock it says its called "Inbox for ****@erols.com - Netscape 6".

WHAT THE **ll's going on? Please help.

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
Here's what it looks like

here

Attachments

• clse.jpg
    clse.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 225

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
Latest version.

Do you have the latest version? I think the latest is 6.2.1. I have it and mail works fine.

If you don't have the latest, install it, it may help.

Matthew

stoid

macrumors 601
tiny window

This is a bug that has plagued Netscape since the very beginning, every once in a while it'll create a new window that has a dimension error making it flat. What you're seeing is not an exclamation point, its a very thin/small window. I've only had this error on an ad pop-up window now and then. They're a pain because they're too small for you to access controls to close/expand/minimze etc. The pnly thing that I found to get rid of them was to quit Netscape and reload it. Of course this won't help you to access the data in the window, but hopefully someone else can offer help from my diagnosis.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
It is only a small bug in Netscape that will be updated.

The problem: Sometimes clicking on the green button on the upper-left hand corner of the Netscape Navigator screen caused this.

Getting out of it is tricky. Notice that this "!" has a line and a dot. Try holding the mouse click button on or slightly above the dot, then drag the mouse. The window should open up.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Doesn't the window show up in Netscape's "Tasks" menu? Can't you just select it from there and then command+w? I'm not sure if this works or not since I can't reproduce the issue.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
I guess this is one of the many reasons why the masses have gone to Internet Explorer over the past few years...??! :(

(including myself)

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
ya use IE. i used to use communicator and it pissed me off because it was so daaaaaaaaaaaaamn buggy. and I've tried NS6 on my powerbook. IE is not only faster, but it doesnt crash as often >_<

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
Thanks everyone

Well I got it to work and learned something new. Thanks for your help. I did what KingCobra said and it worked like a charm.

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
Bah!

Originally posted by eyelikeart
I guess this is one of the many reasons why the masses have gone to Internet Explorer over the past few years...??! :(

(including myself)

I think we should all give Netscape and Omniweb a chance. They are both getting better and are both already faster at rendering than IE. Check out the sneakypeaks of Omniweb. Blazingly fast and stable. It'll be a great browser by 4.1.

Remember the days when Apple used to give out a couple of different browsers with their OS's. Now we just get stinky IE. So sad.

Matthew

stoid

macrumors 601
live resizing, back button

The main reasons I use IE is because if you resize the window it rerenders the page live, so you know when you have it the size you want it. Also, it stores page renditions in cache, so clicking the back button doesn't require waiting for the page to rerender.

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Netscape

I hate netscape. It is sooo slow and jerky. I use Mozilla, OmniWeb, and IE. I think Mozilla is the best because everything seems to be so quick on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.