Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Jul 11, 2003
Apparently, someone found a way to make the Motorola v551 (with newer firmware) work with Tiger and iSync. Only problem is, I have no idea what this all means or where to find the file to edit. Spotlight doesn't find it nor poking all around my Mac. HELP!!

Tiger's iSync 2.0 claims [1] that it supports the Motorola V551 flip phone, but when I picked one up today, iSync refuses to deal with it. During Bluetooth device setup, the checkbox for iSync is grayed out. Suck, huh? Not so much, when you're a Mac Geek.

Browsing around Apple Discussions and a few other sites, reports of the V551 working are mixed; it works for some, not for (many) others. As far as I could tell, not one user with the V551's newest firmware (like me) reports that it works with iSync. And it just so happens that the latest firmware changed the phone's identifier [2] slightly. Aha...

I grepped through the iSync package and only found one reference to the V551 anywhere... the MetaClasses.plist file in /Applications/iSync.app/Contents/PlugIns/ApplePhoneConduit.syncdevice/Contents/PlugIns
/PhoneModelsSync.phoneplugin/Contents/Resources seems to be a list of phone models and identifiers. About 700 lines down is the V551.

<string>"Motorola CE, Copyright 2000"+"GSM900","GSM1800","GSM1900","GSM850","MODEL=V551"</string>
<string>"Motorola CE, Copyright 2000"+"GSM900","GSM1800","GSM1900","MODEL=V551"</string>
Make those say MODEL=V551J. Delete all relevant pairings in Bluetooth prefpane and on the phone, then guess what? It works...

Coincidentally, that same folder has TIFFs representing all the various phone models supported by iSync. A few lines further down you can find these lines.

<key>PhoneIcon</key>
<string>MOTV551.tiff</string>
Drop in a custom TIFF (maybe other formats work?) and change that line to the name of your image, and you can have custom icon for your phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.