Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPhil

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Hello Mac Addicts,

I need help to figure out the system model (e.g. yikes)

I'm not the future owner of it, its my cousin.. he hasn't sent me a link to it yet. :rolleyes: .. So i could check on it to see if it was a 'good deal' and look @ the specs..

Does anyone know of any site that i could look @ and try to figure out the model?

If the PM arrives this week @ his house,i'll be able to look @ it on this coming Sunday .. Its only the PM G4 unit for now, so no booting up and looking @ About this Mac..

I need information on details from the outside/inside of case ?

sorry on being 'vague' on the PM G4 details,I'll update when i get more info from him later..

spencecb

Suspended
Nov 20, 2003
iphil said:
Hello Mac Addicts,

I need help to figure out the system model (e.g. yikes)

I'm not the future owner of it, its my cousin.. he hasn't sent me a link to it yet. :rolleyes: .. So i could check on it to see if it was a 'good deal' and look @ the specs..

Does anyone know of any site that i could look @ and try to figure out the model?

If the PM arrives this week @ his house,i'll be able to look @ it on this coming Sunday .. Its only the PM G4 unit for now, so no booting up and looking @ About this Mac..

I need information on details from the outside/inside of case ?

sorry on being 'vague' on the PM G4 details,I'll update when i get more info from him later..

This site should help....it also give the current estimated value for the computer in question:

http://www.everymac.com/

Hope that is what you are looking for!

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
iphil said:
would the sticker include the 'model name' or once i get that info then use 'MacTracker' to find the exact model etc?

It would not use the "model name" since Yikes, Sawtooth etc. are codenames and not official for external use. I believe that the same sticker with the config info has a part# or model# as well. Googling that may reveal which model G4 it is, if the CPU info doesn't make it obvious.

iPhil

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Lord Blackadder said:
It would not use the "model name" since Yikes, Sawtooth etc. are codenames and not official for external use. I believe that the same sticker with the config info has a part# or model# as well. Googling that may reveal which model G4 it is, if the CPU info doesn't make it obvious.

Thanks, Lord Blackadder for the advice of the sticker etc .. Your asnwer is the answer i'm looking for.. :eek:

Oh yeah, im thinking that i'll be the Mac 'guy' for my cousin etc.. :rolleyes:

Since i got a 'Community' behind me for problems that i solve by myself,
I'll bouncing questions off here for the hard ones.. ;)

iPhil

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Finally i got an email from my cousin on the PM G4..

Specs:

You are bidding on a working Power Macintosh G4 "Sawtooth" with:
Processor: G4, 400 MHz
Bus speed: 128 bit, 100 MHz
Hard disk: 20GB ATA/EIDE
Built in memory: 256MB RAM (expandable to 1.5GB using PC100 SDRAM, 3.3V, unbuffered, 64-bit, 168-pin in 4 DIMM slots)
L2 cache: 1MB 2:1 backside cache
VRAM: 16MB for video display
ATI Rage 128 Pro VGA for video
CD-ROM drive
Internal 100MB Iomega Zip Drive
Ethernet: 10/100 Base-T
Three 64-bit PCI slots
Adaptec 2930 SCSI card takes up one PCI slot
Two 400Mbps FireWire ports
Two 12 Mbps USB ports for keyboard, mouse, and peripherals
56K V90 modem (untested)
One internal speaker
Headphone out and audio input jacks
Size: 8.9"W x 18.4"D x 17"H
Weight: 35 pounds
Software: Mac OS 9.2 operating system

sorry for the post length :eek: :eek:

this pic is of the PM G4 he bought, he's into a graphics would this work for him?

Attachments

• c8_2.JPG.jpg
    c8_2.JPG.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 212

Daedalus256

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
I have a similar Sawtooth (see the sig) For graphics programs you're probably going to want to upgrade the processor, video card, and throw a bunch of ram in it (PC100 is cheap). Sawtooth's are great machines I love mine to death tell him to have fun with it. :)

iPhil

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Daedalus256 said:
I have a similar Sawtooth (see the sig) For graphics programs you're probably going to want to upgrade the processor, video card, and throw a bunch of ram in it (PC100 is cheap). Sawtooth's are great machines I love mine to death tell him to have fun with it. :)

To: Eldorian, he's not selling it so he doesn't need a price range of the Mac
its his first own Mac,so he's not going resale it right away..

Thanks to Daedalus256,

where is a good vendor for sawtooth cpu cards ?

Mactracker is saying its a AGP sawtooth..

Im looking for inexpensive upgrades since he's low on cash now after buying the Mac.. :eek:

I'll be thinking that he'll be calling me alot if he runs into trouble :rolleyes:

iPhil

macrumors 68040
Original poster
yellow said:
http://www.macsales.com (AKA Other World Computing)

Thanks Yellow Again :D

I knew of that place but never searched on there for PM G4 sawtooth AGP :eek:

sorry for being a Question Hog.. :(

would the lowest price CPU Card would for him since his into Graphics..

I'm just trying keep upgrade price shock to a minimum..

Dont want him to feel like he bought 'outdated' machine with the upgrade price

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
yellow said:
http://www.macsales.com (AKA Other World Computing)

Yes, this is your one-stop-shop for PowerMac upgrades.

I recommend a setup like the G4 in my Sig - I bought all the parts from OWC, they shipped fast and worked as advertised.

Note: putting the SATA hard drive in my G4 really made a performance difference - only a new CPU will make a bigger jump in speed, and I highly recommend both. I also recommend 1GB RAM.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
iphil said:
Dont want him to feel like he bought 'outdated' machine with the upgrade price

You shouldn't lie to him.. he IS (or DID) buy an outdated machine.

It depends on what "Graphics" he wants to do.. if he's looking to render a buncha complicated animations, stop right now. If he's looking to fiddle with a Photoshopish app or iPhoto.. then continue.

iPhil

macrumors 68040
Original poster
yellow said:
You shouldn't lie to him.. he IS (or DID) buy an outdated machine.

It depends on what "Graphics" he wants to do.. if he's looking to render a buncha complicated animations, stop right now. If he's looking to fiddle with a Photoshopish app or iPhoto.. then continue.

Thanks Lord Blackadder for idea of max ram etc

To: Yellow

He's prolly be doing photoshop etc graphics etc..

I'm not going lie to him,I'm just tell him the upgrade prices as gently as possible .. I just don't know how he's react to the prices after i tell him about recommendations of CPU/Ram..

If he says too much i'll be gladly to take it for him .. sorry guys if that happens i call dibs on it ;)

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
yellow said:

A Sawtooth certainly isn't a good idea if he's planning on using Final Cut Pro or Motion.

Photoshop can run well on an upgraded Sawtooth, depending on what you are doing. Photoshop can also choke a maxed out Quad G5, depending on what you are doing. Make sure your cousin has a very good idea about what applications he plans to use.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
If he's never used a Mac before, I suggest buying more RAM, buying OS X, and let him get used to using it first. It's not like he can't upgrade it later. For the moment, however, RAM and OS X are a MUST. CPU, GPU, and disk are next.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Lord Blackadder said:
Photoshop can run well on an upgraded Sawtooth, depending on what you are doing. Photoshop can also choke a maxed out Quad G5, depending on what you are doing. Make sure your cousin has a very good idea about what applications he plans to use.

Well certainly, I didn't meant to imply that PS couldn't bring a sawtooth to it's knees... but I'm guessing that the buyer wasn't a photoshop expert, otherwise, why by a Sawtooth? :)

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
yellow said:
If he's never used a Mac before, I suggest buying more RAM, buying OS X, and let him get used to using it first. It's not like he can't upgrade it later. For the moment, however, RAM and OS X are a MUST. CPU, GPU, and disk are next.

Good point - he should get some RAM and play with the computer before spending $$$ on upgrades. Though I'll send a word of warning - with some people (me included), once the upgrade itch starts, there's no going back. :eek:

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Lord Blackadder said:
Though I'll send a word of warning - with some people (me included), once the upgrade itch starts, there's no going back. :eek:

Same here.. I spent a lot of dough upgrading my Qwoosh to the hilt.

iPhil

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Thanks 'guys' for ideas of upgrades on CPU/ram/GPU etc ..

His family already has a 20" iMac G4 and a xp box also :eek: :eek:

He's played with OS X before, iMac has OS X already installed..

The upgrade bug already hit me too.. :eek: :eek:

The first upgrade i'll ask to do is the Ram,then Hdd finally processor..

if the Mac is there sunday and i'll be there to look-over it etc..

I'll direct him to this thread to on what do and what order etc ..

Finally show him the upgrades he can do on the PM G4 on OWC :D :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.