Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Muscle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2010
My internet speed in my room is significantly slower than that in the living room.

In the living room I'm getting speeds of 40-60mbps. In the bedroom, I am getting speeds of 4-10mbps. My ISP is for speeds of 50mbps.

I live in a 1 bedroom apartment (1 floor obviously). The airport extreme is literally less than 20 feet away from the iMac in my room and located in an open space in my living room. I also have an airport express sitting on my desk in my room right next to my iMac.

I tested the speeds with my macbook pro and got the same problem.

Muscle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2010
My internet speed in my room is significantly slower than that in the living room.

In the living room I'm getting speeds of 40-60mbps. In the bedroom, I am getting speeds of 4-10mbps. My ISP is for speeds of 50mbps.

I live in a 1 bedroom apartment (1 floor obviously). The airport extreme is literally less than 20 feet away from the iMac in my room and located in an open space in my living room. I also have an airport express sitting on my desk in my room right next to my iMac.

I tested the speeds with my macbook pro and got the same problem.

So I tried disconnecting my airport express and now speeds in my bedroom are back to "normal". Can someone explain why this is because I would still like to have my airport express for airplay use.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
So I tried disconnecting my airport express and now speeds in my bedroom are back to "normal". Can someone explain why this is because I would still like to have my airport express for airplay use.
Is it possible you have your AE set to extend rather than bridge mode? If it's set on expand, your wifi speed will be about halved because it uses part of the bandwidth to for communication with the AEBS.

Muscle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2010
Ok yes that fixed the problem. I switched it to bridge mode (Join a wireless network) instead of "extending a wireless network" and now my speeds are still normal in my room.

So for future reference, extending a wireless network using airport express will reduce your wifi speed regardless of its placement (i.e. distance to your device, distance from your base station)?

also changing thread to resolved.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.