Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

npolly0212

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 21, 2015
Hey all,

I am trying to code up an HTML email right now, and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get live text onto a background image and make it still show up in any of the older Outlook email subscribers.

I am doing them in there on <td> which makes it even more of a pain in the butt, and have been working on this for the past few days to try to figure out.

I have it where it works on everything right now but on any of the Outlook apps. when It is sent on Outlook it just shows whatever background color I assigned to it.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
I am trying to code up an HTML email right now, and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get live text onto a background image and make it still show up in any of the older Outlook email subscribers.
We believe in you! You can do it!

I am doing them in there on <td> which makes it even more of a pain in the butt, and have been working on this for the past few days to try to figure out.
Yep, that is what I do. You have to think old school with email.

I have it where it works on everything right now but on any of the Outlook apps. when It is sent on Outlook it just shows whatever background color I assigned to it.
Fantastic! Keep up the good work, you will get it.

npolly0212

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 21, 2015
We believe in you! You can do it!

Yep, that is what I do. You have to think old school with email.

Fantastic! Keep up the good work, you will get it.
Appreciate it, I got one of he background images working and showing up, but none of the others!
Can't make them responsive though for some reason

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Outlook is the worst.

I just build html emails to current web standards so they can take advantage of responsive design. Not going to get very responsive using table elements for design, aka 1996 development strategies. For the most part html5 is rendered properly in current mail clients. Some users still running Windows98 will have issues, but I try to not let that bother me too much.

HTML email is a huge, frustrating subject area. I just accept it and do the best I can. There are quite a few online tutorials about html email development strategies. Most center around building everything with table elements. Lately, have stopped using tables and just stick to 'standards.'

Reactions: npolly0212

kiwipeso1

Suspended
Sep 17, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
I would suggest that Thunderbird is pretty good at html email, alternatively you may find if you want to use a html editor such as Rapidweaver, and then save in a local folder to send as attachments will work also.

npolly0212

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 21, 2015
Outlook is the worst.

I just build html emails to current web standards so they can take advantage of responsive design. Not going to get very responsive using table elements for design, aka 1996 development strategies. For the most part html5 is rendered properly in current mail clients. Some users still running Windows98 will have issues, but I try to not let that bother me too much.

HTML email is a huge, frustrating subject area. I just accept it and do the best I can. There are quite a few online tutorials about html email development strategies. Most center around building everything with table elements. Lately, have stopped using tables and just stick to 'standards.'

The worst part is the one who the emails are going out for use the outlook email and I have to figure out how to make it work for them! Lol

I would suggest that Thunderbird is pretty good at html email, alternatively you may find if you want to use a html editor such as Rapidweaver, and then save in a local folder to send as attachments will work also.

Thanks guys, appreciate the responses

I will have to look into those things!

npolly0212

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 21, 2015
Thanks guys I appreciate all the comments. I actually found a way to make it work but couldn't make the live text over it all formatted properly and such so switched up the design!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.