Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roadkill401

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2015
My daughters old iPhone 7 I am guessing had been dropped and banged around enough to stop works partially. Apple doesn't want to even open it up to look at it as they say it's too old to do anything with. The screen works fine, but the microphone for some reason doesn't work. The lighting port works fine to charge and send data, but won't recognize a lightning headphone it plugged in.

I was told by Apple to try upgrading it from IOS12 to 13. All that did was break it even further as not it doesn't bring up any messages that the microphone isn't working, it rather says there is no microphone inside the whole cell phone.

I also lost access to Siri. I am trying to figure out if there is a way to get this now defunct phone to work with my car. I drive a Kia Niro that has apple car play. I can plug the iPhone7 into the car, and it can play music through the car speakers, so obviously this is done through the data connection on the lightning port. I can't however get it to run Apple CarPlay as I can't get Siri on as I don't have a working mic on the phone to say hey siri 3 times to activate the app.

I don't mind hacking the phone. I don't mind doing a jailbreak on the phone if that will help me get Siri working so I can get the phone to load CarPlay.

Any idea's or help is appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.