Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

da2005pizimp

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2006
Gilbert, AZ
Hey folks, i'm having a problem with some of my logic boards. after i put a hard drive in and get it put back together i go to do a install of 9.2 and it's not reading the HD, the hard drives are good. is there a way around this? are the logic boards just crapped out? someone help!!!!! by the way these are 466mhz clamshell logic boards.

da2005pizimp

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2006
Gilbert, AZ
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE SOMEONE HELP I'M GETTING REALLY MAD AT THESE CALMSHELLS AND I'M ABOUT TO THROW THEM OUT THE DOOR INTO MY POOL. :mad:

shifuimam

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2006
When you say it's "not reading the hard drive", do you mean that OS 9 doesn't even detect it? Does it fail trying to partition/format it? What exactly is happening?

Try booting off an Ubuntu LiveCD. If you can mount the drives there, then you know the IDE controller is good, and there may be something wonky with the drive partition table that's keeping OS 9 from seeing it.

Also, are you 100% sure you plugged in the IDE cable to the logic board securely? If it's even the tiniest bit dislodged, the drive probably won't work.

Another option is to pull the drive and put it in a cheap 2.5" USB drive case, just to make sure the drive is usable.

If you have access to a working Mac, you could plug in the drive via USB (using the aforementioned case) and try formatting it with the Disk Utility.

Roba

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2006
Edit-sorry i didn't read the last line of the post above which basically just said what i wrote but then edited.

I will add though that I had this problem when i installed a new hard drive but i just booted up from the CD and chose the Disk Utility that is on the top of the bar on the installer page and formatted my hard drive that way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.