Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

buddygogo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2011
USA California
Ok so I was doing my hair and I didn't realize my iPod was right there where my accessories are so when I put my hairspray on some landed on my iPod now it has these little tiny dots everywhere on the screen making it feel less smooth. Anyone know how I can clean the screen? I'm scared that windex will damage it,Thanks!

Epic Orange

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2011
Element X
Get a microfiber cloth or any smooth cloth (cloths that are used for wiping) and get a little bit of water or screen cleaner fluid (not windex) on the cloth and wipe. Make sure there is not too much fluid or water touching the screen, but just enough to remove the residue from the hairspray. :)

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I use presently use Monster Cable iClean. There are other cleaning Gels. The nice thing about these concoctions is the keep off dust and finger prints.
This stuff goes a long way so it will last awhile.:)

http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=2105

By the way you can use Windex, I use it all the time. The trick is spray it on the cloth, paper towel etc not on the Touch it's self this will prevent the over spray from getting into areas it should not be in. Just enough to dampen the cleaning cloth and have at it. It works great. Windex cleans very well but it does not have the goodies that are added to the dedicated cleaner such as the above iClean.

Attachments

• iclean_towel.jpg
    iclean_towel.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 6,510
Last edited:

androiphone

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2009
breathe on it then wipe it with a cloth (microfiber is best but your t-shirt will do fine)

if you have a 3rd gen or new 4th gen iPod Touch you DON'T want to use any cleaning solutions because the ipods screen has a special oleophobic coating meaning it naturally resists fingerprint smuges. (plus you are basically wasting your money by using the special cleaning products)

if you have tiny drops on it that have dryed and they dont work clean by using your breath or by using a very slightly damp cloth then use your fingernail to pivot them off.

Michael383

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2011
Don't use windex. All you need is a slightly moist cotton cloth to remove most things from your screen.

buddygogo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2011
USA California
dip your finger in water and rub your finger over the entire screen. make sure you dry it off real fast, and if it doesn't work , try it again. it should make the screen look new. works for me.

buddygogo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2011
USA California
I use presently use Monster Cable iClean. There are other cleaning Gels. The nice thing about these concoctions is the keep off dust and finger prints.
This stuff goes a long way so it will last awhile.:)

http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=2105

By the way you can use Windex, I use it all the time. The trick is spray it on the cloth, paper towel etc not on the Touch it's self this will prevent the over spray from getting into areas it should not be in. Just enough to dampen the cleaning cloth and have at it. It works great. Windex cleans very well but it does not have the goodies that are added to the dedicated cleaner such as the above iClean.

Hi,the screen cleaner seems good,i will try it.:eek:

buddygogo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2011
USA California
You can clean your ipod screen this way…….

1) The first step is to turn off your iPod touch. And if hot, from processes let cool for 5-10 minutes.
2) Take your iPod out of its case
3) Place on a paper towel
4) Get another paper towel and fold until at least somewhere at 2x2 inches long
5) Get a towel (cloth only!), preferrably small, and just place it next to the paper towel that your iPod is sitting on.
6) Wet the folded paper towel, and squeeze out the excess water
7) Apply the wet towel on your iPod hard, to get any grease or etc. off. (back and front), and make sure not to get inside any of the iPod's parts.
8) Also, you may want to use a special cloth that is specifically designed to clean glass.
9) Once wetting, immediately take your towel (cloth), and wrap it around your iPod. Also dry your iPod, thoroughly.
10) Once done wipe your case with the towel (cloth), to make sure you get ALL of the grease or etc. off. I wouldn't really wet your case because it might ruin the texture or its color.
11) Put your iPod back in its case.
12) Take a look at your new and improved iPod!

Very thank you for your good advice,i think it will be ok for my ipod.:eek:

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
The reason why I use the dedicated cleaner such as iClean is they have stuff that helps to reduce finger prints, but most importantly they sanitize the surfaces. I work at a hospital and one of our Doctors decided to do take cultures from computer keyboards, smart phone touch surfaces and their keyboards. The results demonstrated these surface where dirtier then a well used toilet seat. The word went out and we run antibacterial cleaning pads on our computer keyboards at least once a day and I clean my Touch in it's case each morning. I take my 4G out of the Otterbox Defender case a couple of times a month to sanitize it directly. We use a sanitizer that is a alcohol hydrogen peroxide solution it does it's job without leaving a residue.

tablo13

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
breathe on it then wipe it with a cloth (microfiber is best but your t-shirt will do fine)

if you have a 3rd gen or new 4th gen iPod Touch you DON'T want to use any cleaning solutions because the ipods screen has a special oleophobic coating meaning it naturally resists fingerprint smuges. (plus you are basically wasting your money by using the special cleaning products)

if you have tiny drops on it that have dryed and they dont work clean by using your breath or by using a very slightly damp cloth then use your fingernail to pivot them off.

Umm, actually they don't have oleophobic coatings. That's for the iPhone :D

vgregory

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
Thanks guys for the help...My sister also messed her itouch..Where can I buy liquid cleaner for it?

Takoda

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Don't pay to buy anything extra, especially just to clean the screen. Just use Windex. The iPod screen is glass, so it won't damage it. If you don't own any Windex, DON'T go and buy some, unless you just want to. An alternative if you don't have any would be just water and a microfiber cleaning cloth or some cotton fabric, like a shirt.

Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.