Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tiauguinho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2002
The Netherlands
Hello Guys,

I've been having constant problems with my folding@home projects. I have the script of m68k for dual processing which worked perfectly until 2 weeks ago... My Proteins are constantly starting again when they reach 3/4 of work done! This is driving me nuts! I've had this problem twice until i decided to update the script of m68k half a week ago and started all over again another 2 new proteins... Today,when I went so see if they were already on the 3/4 mark (since i was expecting them to finish tomorrow) I've noticed that they started all over again! I dont know what to do anymore and this has already costed me 2 weeks of folding points to our team ( which made me to fall from 18th position to 29th i think...). Can you please help me troubleshoot this problem? Thanks in Advance!

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2002
I seem to remember a discussion on the scripts in one of the threads, I will see if I can dig it up for you...
[EDIT] I was wrong, I think jelloshots had some similar trouble, but I could be mistaken. How are you checking progress on your work units? [/EDIT]

Tiauguinho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2002
The Netherlands
I type work on the terminal and it dumps the current frame that its in... I hope that somebody can help me on this one cause i dont know what is going on with it to make it start from the begging...

Zeke

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2002
Greenville, SC
I had the same problem. Make sure you don't have any other instances of F@H running. Turn off the screensaver because it may be causing problems. I was reading about this on the Folding forum yesterday. I'm currently running the screensaver and it works but it seems to have to do with running another instance of F@H. Hope this helps.

Tiauguinho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2002
The Netherlands
yep! i have it!

PID COMMAND %CPU TIME #TH #PRTS #MREGS RPRVT RSHRD RSIZE VSIZE
1048 top 4.6% 0:02.34 1 14 18 260K 336K 556K 13.6M
1047 FahCore_65 89.8% 0:21.39 2 11 18 3.32M 832K 4.00M 54.7M
1046 FahCore_65 86.9% 0:21.50 2 11 18 3.32M 832K 4.00M 54.7M
1045 OSX-3.24 0.0% 0:04.23 4 15 21 76K 592K 572K 5.39M
1044 OSX-3.24 0.0% 0:04.31 4 15 21 72K 592K 568K 5.39M

But isnt this normal with dual processor script?

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
my only suggestion is to download the very latest script (homepage.mac.com/mc68k) and then try it all again... i know that sucks, but it's worth a shot... the script can dump all the old stuff for you i believe, so just let it do its thing

the latest script (as of about 1.5 weeks ago) is the thing that seemed to fix mine.... and i was basically having the same problem... so, give it a shot.

and yes, having 2 of each of those processes is normal with duals

Tiauguinho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2002
The Netherlands
But jelloshotsrule, i've just upgraded to the latest script of m68k and it happened again, that why i thought it was way too weird. Im gonna install everything all over again but i've lost my hope...

Zeke

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2002
Greenville, SC
Try deleting everything F@H related and then reinstall. Try only one F@H first and see if it continues to happen. You're not running the screensaver are you? If so, turn it off too. Try and just get 1 working. Once that's working download the second and run the mc68k script. Maybe that'll fix it.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
ive only seen F@H console get corrupted on one mac before personally-- but things are bound to happen.

actually all my scripts do is set it up and run it like a learned Unix person would if they typed it directly to the shell. the fact that it works fine for a while, then stops working cannot be attributed to my script, since all it's really doing is moving around once, then staying static by issuing the same commands. i think my scripts are being misinterpreted as applications or something, they're just passive shell commands directed from a file instead of the keyboard.

so i think the corruption problem lies with stanford. if you have probs, just stop folding and run the scripts again. one of the first lines is:
Code:
rm -rf ~/F@H* ~/.work_script ~/.fold_script
which removes the work directories and some stuff from v1 [if applicable]. this has always fixed the prob for me and for other ppl. u might lose some work, but hey, we all lose work if we do F@H enough...dems da breaks. :(

thanks for contributing

Tiauguinho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2002
The Netherlands
mc68k,

I've typed the command you said and installed the Script again. Let see if this works now! :) I dont blame your script at all, since i do understand that this may be a Stanford problem with my comp and since i dont know the proper commands to trouldshoot the problem, i had to ask for your help. I love your script since it enabled me to put my Dual working with the 2 G4's and we all have a lot to thank you for your dedication to the team and the help you gave us all. This applies to all of you guys that help our team climb the stats and that make part of this wonderfull team! Once again, thank you for your help on this problem. Happy folding!

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
yeah i think everyone has had positive experiences with my script so that's cool. i just wanted to clarify.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
Originally posted by Tiauguinho
But jelloshotsrule, i've just upgraded to the latest script of m68k and it happened again, that why i thought it was way too weird. Im gonna install everything all over again but i've lost my hope...

yeah, that's what i figured. let us know if it works out

i was so frustrated when i had like 150+ points not get turned in... ahh well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.