Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdhatfield3

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2004
Searcy, AR
I have an iMac G3 400 mhz running 10.2.8. When i try to install 10.3 it tells me that the firmware needs updating. What do i do?

ebow

macrumors 6502a
rdhatfield3 said:
I have an iMac G3 400 mhz running 10.2.8. When i try to install 10.3 it tells me that the firmware needs updating. What do i do?

I recall from a lonnnng time ago (10.0.x days) that firmware updates had to be done using OS 9. However, I have an iMac G3 500 and I haven't had to update any firmware since then (as far as I can recall). Surely we can't still be required to use OS 9 to update firmware, can we? Hope someone knows better than me. Have you tried searching Apple's support forums for "imac" and "firmware" and perhaps "g3"?

sorryiwasdreami

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2004
way out in the sticks
It's true check out this Apple support page for details. Look at the bottom and it will tell you to install the following updates under OS9.

For maximum compatibility and stability, make sure you have the latest firmware updates for your iMac.

iMac Firmware Update 1.2
iMac Firmware Update 2.4i
Mac Firmware Update 4.1.9
iMac/Cube DVD-ROM Update
iMac CD Update 2.0
iMac DVD Update 1.0

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.