Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kingscrips

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2023
Hi,

I just got old imac from a friend.
I am trying to factory reset and reinstall OS X Mavericks but it's asking me for Apple ID and Password.
I tried to put my ID and Password but it doesn't work. Also my friend can't remember what ID or Password he used when he first brought this imac back in 2013.

Can anyone help me with this issues?

Thank you

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Mavericks always seems a little "problematic" -- hard to find, compared to just about any other version of OS X/macOS.
This makes it challenging to download the Mavericks installer, as it is not often available through "normal" methods.

I would ask -- Why do a factory reset to a basically defunct system? For example, it is challenging to get an internet browser to work properly, due to the age of that Mavericks system.
But, if you can find/download a Mavericks installer, then make your own USB bootable installer from that downloaded app, that likely has a better chance of working for the install, compared to internet recovery.
But, if you can download a macOS installer, and create your own bootable installer from that, why not go as new as you can... 2013 iMac supports up to Catalina natively (macOS 10.15.7). A 2013 iMac is also a great candidate for using OCLP, allowing you to go to current latest Ventura, which works very nicely, and would get you up to a current system, should you want to do that...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.