Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aloper

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 23, 2015
Rocklin, CA
So I just updated both my iPhone Max Pro and iPad. The iPad update went smooth but on my iPhone, I'm just seeing a spinner. I downloaded the update, then updated. Put the phone back on it's charger and walked away. It's been sitting there now for about 10-15 minutes. No advancing bar, like it's applying the update. Just a spinner...

Obviously, I can leave it and see what happens...But does anyone know what the right thing to do here might be? Should I force restart the phone??

aloper

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 23, 2015
Rocklin, CA
Yeah, still just a spinner after almost a half hour...I've never had an update do this, but maybe they are getting slammed or something...I'm updating from 13 to 13.1 here...

aloper

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 23, 2015
Rocklin, CA
Ok, asked in a different thread and as suggested, did a force restart. Phone came back and booted, and said I had successfully been updated to IOS13...which is funny since I was already running 13...lol. Anyways, I'm trying the update again now, and if it still doesn't work, I'll update this again...Let's hope not! lol

euron8

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2008
Same issue here with updating. On my iPhone 11 Pro I have the apple logo with a spinner underneath. Phone is unresponsive to force restart. It's been about 15 minutes.

aloper

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 23, 2015
Rocklin, CA
Same issue here with updating. On my iPhone 11 Pro I have the apple logo with a spinner underneath. Phone is unresponsive to force restart. It's been about 15 minutes.

Yeah, I let mine sit for over a half hour and finally did a force restart. It booted as I mentioned above. I started the update again, and now I'm back to a spinner...I'll let it sit again for a little while and force restart it again...

littlemidge

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2018
Just updated my Xs. Didn’t have any issues and it all went smooth (iOS 13 > 13.1)

I’d leave it another fifteen minutes or so.

aloper

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 23, 2015
Rocklin, CA
Ok, for me at least, I got it sorted out. After trying two times to update, it would download, reboot the phone and just sit on the spinner...for over a half hour. I forced restarted the phone each time, but on the second, when it booted, I got a screen to input my password to enable an overnight update? Which I didn't request...but anyways, I did that. Got back into my phone and did an icloud backup just in case. Then I did this and it updated fine this time:

- Did a force restart (volume up/down then hold power) before attempting to update again.
- Went into General > Software Updates and disabled automatic updates.
Doing a little research, this also disables the set overnight update that somehow got enabled.

- Downloaded the update and applied it.
This time, the phone rebooted and did it's normal update, no spinner...just the updating bar.
- Phone booted up and now I'm updated to 13.1.

I've never had an issue with an iPhone update until this...But anyways, for me it's solved...

Reactions: euron8

sandyarz

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2017
Scottsdale, AZ
I am also having trouble updating to 13.1. Keep getting stuck with the Apple logo and the spinner underneath. I have done the force restart twice and tried the update again. No change. Just continues to spin.

M33-1

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
I had all of the same problems and unchecking automatic update worked. Force restart your phone by clicking the volume up then volume down then hold the power button. After your phone boots to iOS 13 or 13.1 beta, go under software update and uncheck or deselect automatic update. Re-download the update and restart and it will work.

Thank you aloper!

Reactions: aloper
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.