Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chill389cc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2022
Hello, I know this is a long shot but I found my old iPod Shuffle 4th gen and was trying to see what was on it and to see if I could put songs on it through Apple Music. I plugged it in and MacOS detected it! It shows up in Apple Music as an option to click on on the left sidebar, and it shows up as two things in Finder, once as an iPod and once as a removable device. The removable device doesn't have any folders, just a couple hidden files.

When I try to select it in Apple Music it shows the name of the device, detects that it is an iPod shuffle, shows the right image for it and name and storage size, but then just says 'Loading...' for a while, and then eventually shows an error that says "The selected device could not be found". The only other options I can find for it are 'Eject', 'Sync', and 'Transfer Purchases' that appear when I right-click on it in the apple music sidebar. none of those options appear to do anything.

Ejecting it, re-inserting after charging doesn't help. I've tried different USB ports and different USB hubs, etc.

Any ideas?

chill389cc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2022
Edit: I got something to work. There must have been something up with the storage. I tried a bunch of things but I eventually got something to work, so if anyone ever has this issue, do one of these things:
- Use 'Disk Utility' to format the drive the appears.
- open up one of the hidden files and edit it. I edited the UUID file and removed a character.

One of these two things, or both, made it so the next time I plugged in the iPod, Finder saw it as in 'Recovery Mode' so I was able to restore it and though it kind of crashed finder while doing a restore, all I did was restart my mac and then it was able to detect the ipod just fine! Syncing songs on it right now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.