Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saga

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2006
Hey all,
I am trying to link my macbook to my emac to transfer files. I am trying to simply use the macbook as a external drive to drag and drop files to it. When turning on the macbook and holding the "T" key down, I see the firewire symbol on the macbook, which is what I should see. Though, on the other end on the emac, a window pops up that says the disc I have selected mac osx cannot read. It gives me three opions: initialize, ignore, or something else. All lead to no macbook icon on the emac. all except initialize, which opens disc utility, which will show the macbook hardrive in the left window. What's up?

jocool5

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2005
Minnesota
saga said:
Hey all,
I am trying to link my macbook to my emac to transfer files. I am trying to simply use the macbook as a external drive to drag and drop files to it. When turning on the macbook and holding the "T" key down, I see the firewire symbol on the macbook, which is what I should see. Though, on the other end on the emac, a window pops up that says the disc I have selected mac osx cannot read. It gives me three opions: initialize, ignore, or something else. All lead to no macbook icon on the emac. all except initialize, which opens disc utility, which will show the macbook hardrive in the left window. What's up?

Well I don't know what type of partition the Macbook is but i am willing to bet that if you put the emac into target disk mode and connect them the macbook will see the emac. It just sounds like a weird partition on the emac.

Joe

saga

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2006
That's helpful, but then If the emac is on target disc, how do I transfer files from the emac to the macbook?

jocool5

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2005
Minnesota
saga said:
That's helpful, but then If the emac is on target disc, how do I transfer files from the emac to the macbook?

Ok so the emac is in target disk mode and it shows up as a firewire drive, which contains the same folder structure as on the emac. As long as the macbook can see that drive then you just have to navigate the Firewire drive that popped up on the macbook, drag the files over and restart the emac. Don't think of the firewire cable as a one way street, it can put files on to the emac if you want it to but you will be able to pull all the files you want off as well.

saga

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2006
I think I understand. I tried to use the emac in target disc, and it worked well, except the files I wanted to transfer out of iphoto, wouldn't let me since the emac is working on iphoto2 and macbook on iphoto6. what should I do. do i have to save all photos somewhere else in order to drag and drop, or can I change the partition on one of the computers so i can see the emac on the mac book?

x86

macrumors regular
May 25, 2006
Dearborn, MI
I believe that the partition stuctures on PPC Macs are different from their Intel cousins, explaining the first problem. But, on your MacBook you should be able to import the photos by pointing iPhoto 6 to the photo directory of the target drive, rather than the iPhoto 2 file. I'm not on my Mac right now so I'm really taking a guess, but I hope that helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.