Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rodney_1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2024
After a bit of help!! I have a 2022 Mac Studio M1 Max. It has started not booting up. When I press the power button the white light flashes on for about a second,the fans kick in and then it shuts down. Very occasionally it will load all the way through and when it does the studio runs fine and works perfectly. I have taken it to an Apple Genius Bar and they got it to boot and factory reset it but when I got it home it loaded up once and is now doing g the same thing. Has anyone else come up against this and how did you fix it please?

Rodney_1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2024
Same computer and it has never happened to me.

Do you have anything, other than a monitor, keyboard and mouse, connected to the Mac?
I just can’t work it out and gutted because it’s such a great machine. Nothing connected apart for monitor. Using an Apple mouse and wireless keyboard.

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
What about if you startup in Recovery; press and hold power button.
It will let you see and select any bootable volumes, and do things like run Disk Utilities to see if there are any issues with your boot drive.

Rodney_1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2024
It will let you see and select any bootable volumes, and do things like run Disk Utilities to see if there are any issues with your boot drive.

it doesn’t even get to the recovery stage. Even if I press and hold the power button it gets to the point of playing the chime and then shuts down again half way through the start up chime.

Rodney_1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2024
When you say the Apple store folks "factory reset it" are you saying that they deleted everything that you had put on it and you had to start from scratch?
Yeah they deleted everything and had to start from scratch. They fresh installed Mac OS and said they had got it to boot to the welcome page no problems. I got it home and the first time I turned it on it worked perfect. Set it up as a new Mac and shut it down. Came to it the next day to turn it on and was doing the same thing by not starting up.

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
it doesn’t even get to the recovery stage. Even if I press and hold the power button it gets to the point of playing the chime and then shuts down again half way through the start up chime.
Then something is very wrong with your mac.
I think you should go to an authorized dealer/repair shop, and avoid shop assistants that knows little about this sort of thing.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Yeah they deleted everything and had to start from scratch. They fresh installed Mac OS and said they had got it to boot to the welcome page no problems. I got it home and the first time I turned it on it worked perfect. Set it up as a new Mac and shut it down. Came to it the next day to turn it on and was doing the same thing by not starting up.
When you say "set it up as a new Mac" did that include using Migration Assistant to transfer apps, data and settings from a previous Mac or backup?

Rodney_1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2024
When you say "set it up as a new Mac" did that include using Migration Assistant to transfer apps, data and settings from a previous Mac or backup?
No nothing backed up from backups, Time Machine or a previous Mac. It was a fresh install and logging in as a new user having to download apps and so on.

Rodney_1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2024
Then something is very wrong with your mac.
I think you should go to an authorized dealer/repair shop, and avoid shop assistants that knows little about this sort of thing.
There is definitely something not right with it mate. Just can’t work out if it’s hardware or software really.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.