Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

monya

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2019
Munich, Bavaria
Good morning ! I have a few questions hope someone could answer them ! if i inatalled mojave but didn't use it is that mean im using high sierra software or mojavee ?..
for now i have a firmware password issue :'( if i take it to an apple authorized service how long it will take to get solved ? .. in case it get solved is that mean im gonna lose the information I have in my mac !
(by the way Ive already tried cmd+R,Cmd+R+P and can't access only to put the formware pass so no # about solving it it makes me more nervous ) oh and how much it costs :'(( ? .. thanks

Last edited:

Ruggy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2017
Good morning ! I have a few questions hope someone could answer them ! if i inatalled mojave but didn't use it is that mean im using high sierra software or mojavee ?..
for now i have a firmware password issue :'( if i take it to an apple authorized service how long it will take to get solved ? .. in case it get solved is that mean im gonna lose the information I have in my mac !
(by the way Ive already tried cmd+R,Cmd+R+P and can't access only to put the formware pass so no # about solving it it makes me more nervous ) oh and how much it costs :'(( ? .. thanks

I think I understand. If the computer is yours and you've got proof that it's yours and you can take it to a genius bar in an Apple shop, they should be able to unlock it for you using their special software whilst you wait. There is no cost in doing that, they are there to help.
After that it should just boot up. I imagine you have tried to install mojave but the installation stalled when it hit the firmware password so it looks like it will then install mojave as you intended. Otherwise I don't see how you haven't used mojave.
In any case, you really need to get to an Apple shop and they will tell you exactly what they can do for you.

Reactions: monya

monya

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2019
Munich, Bavaria
I think I understand. If the computer is yours and you've got proof that it's yours and you can take it to a genius bar in an Apple shop, they should be able to unlock it for you using their special software whilst you wait. There is no cost in doing that, they are there to help.
After that it should just boot up. I imagine you have tried to install mojave but the installation stalled when it hit the firmware password so it looks like it will then install mojave as you intended. Otherwise I don't see how you haven't used mojave.
In any case, you really need to get to an Apple shop and they will tell you exactly what they can do for you.
thanks u helped me more than the apple assistant .. the funny part is that they couldn't solve it and they don't have any materials that can help so I need to ship it to UK :'(

Ruggy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2017
thanks u helped me more than the apple assistant .. the funny part is that they couldn't solve it and they don't have any materials that can help so I need to ship it to UK :'(
I understand. In that case they are going to attempt a 'hardware reset'.
Why to the UK i don't know but all Macs have a hardware chip in them which can't be accessed easily and they have very tightly guarded machines that can replace them.
It's probably something to do with that.
I have found their service to be excellent.
I once sent a water damaged phone for repair from France and it went to the Netherlands to be evaluated and back in under 3 days so whatever their estimate is, then it's probably right.
They picked it up Thursday afternoon and a new one was in my hand before 10am Monday morning.
No more than a guess on all that I'm afraid but good luck. That sort of thing is horrible.

monya

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2019
Munich, Bavaria
I understand. In that case they are going to attempt a 'hardware reset'.
Why to the UK i don't know but all Macs have a hardware chip in them which can't be accessed easily and they have very tightly guarded machines that can replace them.
It's probably something to do with that.
I have found their service to be excellent.
I once sent a water damaged phone for repair from France and it went to the Netherlands to be evaluated and back in under 3 days so whatever their estimate is, then it's probably right.
They picked it up Thursday afternoon and a new one was in my hand before 10am Monday morning.
No more than a guess on all that I'm afraid but good luck. That sort of thing is horrible.
it is terrifying especially bcz I have all my projects there and I didn't put them in github or somewhere else .. thanks a lot mrr I really appreciate ure help

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
it is terrifying especially bcz I have all my projects there and I didn't put them in github or somewhere else .. thanks a lot mrr I really appreciate ure help

Always have at least 2 backups of your work. Your computer could be stolen or broken at any day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.