Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

virus1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2004
LOST
can anyone help me get started with mysql? i have looked at a few different tutorials, but none of them ever helped me get started installing on the software. I have this php software, and when i run the php info, it says i have mysql installed, but i have no idea how to set it up. please help me.

MacFan25863

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
virus1 said:

I'm not sure what you mean by that. I asked what you wanted to do specifically with MySQL and PHP. We can't help you unless we know exactly what you want to do...

virus1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2004
LOST
i want to know how to set up a database with mac os x, and be able to run and manage it through a web application through php. more specifically, i want to try to make a little online game..

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
virus1 said:
can anyone help me get started with mysql? i have looked at a few different tutorials, but none of them ever helped me get started installing on the software. I have this php software, and when i run the php info, it says i have mysql installed, but i have no idea how to set it up. please help me.

http://www.sitepoint.com/books/phpmysql1/

get the free chapters. this is enough to install and get the basic of mysql.

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
It sounds like you are trying to install MySQL on your own machine. Unless you have an "always on" computer and a T-1 or greater connection with a static IP address, I would suggest setting up a hosting account with a web host who can give you a MySQL database that is already set up. There are lots of good web hosts out there. I can give you a list of hosts that I recommend if you like.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
Stampyhead said:
It sounds like you are trying to install MySQL on your own machine. Unless you have an "always on" computer and a T-1 or greater connection with a static IP address, I would suggest setting up a hosting account with a web host who can give you a MySQL database that is already set up. There are lots of good web hosts out there. I can give you a list of hosts that I recommend if you like.

he should probably install the software on his mac and get it running. that is fastest way to learn mysql.

virus1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2004
LOST
superbovine said:
he should probably install the software on his mac and get it running. that is fastest way to learn mysql.
ya i just want to learn for now, and to develop my game. then i can worry about uploading and all.

virus1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2004
LOST
Stampyhead said:
its not the installing, its the database creation and all that junk inside terminal...

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
virus1 said:
its not the installing, its the database creation and all that junk inside terminal...

Those are the easiest parts.

First, change your root password:

/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqladmin -u root password <new_password>

Now create a database:

/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqladmin create <database_name>

You can then login to the database:

/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql -u root -p <database_name>

Of course, it would easier to add /usr/local/mysql/bin to your path so you don't have to type it every time.

superfunkomatic

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
calgary, ab canada
here's a great tutorial on setting up php/mysql -
http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/mysql/

for a GUI to add data and construct tables and the like try YourSQL-http://yoursql.ludit.it/
you can visually go in and add stuff and configure your database.

for a tutorial on how to create the web content and connections, i use dreamweaver - here's a tutorial from macromedia's site, or check their help files in dreamweaver - they're good.
http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/dreamweaver/articles/php_macintosh.html

have fun! :)

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Stampyhead said:
Oh, I see. In that case, download and install PHP My Admin (http://www.phpmyadmin.net/). It gives a graphical interface to MySQL and makes creating databases, tables, etc. much easier.

PHPMyAdmin is good and bad. If you just want to setup a database and not understand the internals, then go for it.

However, if your desire is to fully understand how to fix things and the underlying architecture, I recommend reading some MySQL books and working with it. To be honest, it's not hard at all. In addition, you'll need to write SQL anyway in the web code, so you might as well get your hands dirty.

virus1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2004
LOST
thanks for the help guys. i ended up bypassing the local server testing, and bought hosting from hostfor2bucks. it let me set it up in minutes. painless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.