Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rikintosh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2020
São Paulo, Brazil
The post title says it all. I want to access some files in a folder that is already shared on my windows 10 pc. I can access it on other switches, but on my powerbook, nothing appears in my network folder. I already defined the name of the workgroup ("WORKGROUP"), in WINS in the network preferences, but I still can't.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
The post title says it all. I want to access some files in a folder that is already shared on my windows 10 pc. I can access it on other switches, but on my powerbook, nothing appears in my network folder. I already defined the name of the workgroup ("WORKGROUP"), in WINS in the network preferences, but I still can't.
Do you have all the correct permissions applied on the shared folder? I.e, the permissions for the account you are using to access this folder?

You may have to give full permissions to all and then access the share as a guest. I had to do that once, which was bizarre because it was working correctly before then.

repairedCheese

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2020
I believe you have to set up Windows 10 to use SMB1, because if I remember right, Leopard doesn't support SMB2. That could be going the other way, though, Windows to Mac, I'm not 100% sure about that bit. Then, you are going to have to manually enter the server's name or ip address going through Go->Connect to Server..., or command-k, apparently. And after all that, you have to hope that Windows File Share is going to play nice with the account, I've not gotten these older versions of the Mac OS to connect using accounts made with a Microsoft account at setup. Windows File Share already sucks in Windows as it is.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I believe you have to set up Windows 10 to use SMB1, because if I remember right, Leopard doesn't support SMB2. That could be going the other way, though, Windows to Mac, I'm not 100% sure about that bit. Then, you are going to have to manually enter the server's name or ip address going through Go->Connect to Server..., or command-k, apparently. And after all that, you have to hope that Windows File Share is going to play nice with the account, I've not gotten these older versions of the Mac OS to connect using accounts made with a Microsoft account at setup. Windows File Share already sucks in Windows as it is.
I've got no issues connecting to my Thinkpad running Windows 10. There was a time, as I mentioned above that I had to give permissions to all and sign in as a guest, but since a few updates it seems I don't have to do that anymore. I can just use my normal account now.

repairedCheese

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2020
I've got no issues connecting to my Thinkpad running Windows 10. There was a time, as I mentioned above that I had to give permissions to all and sign in as a guest, but since a few updates it seems I don't have to do that anymore. I can just use my normal account now.
Having used Windows File Share for over 20 years, I can say that is usually works fine, but sometimes, you just end up with something not working, and there's no real way to fix it. You can usually work around the problem using IP addresses directly, but it's always been a little broken.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Having used Windows File Share for over 20 years, I can say that is usually works fine, but sometimes, you just end up with something not working, and there's no real way to fix it. You can usually work around the problem using IP addresses directly, but it's always been a little broken.
Oh, I didn't mean to imply I wasn't directly connecting via IP address. That's just the way I've always done it. I was more meaning the account credentials and ability to actually connect are working.

repairedCheese

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2020
Oh, I didn't mean to imply I wasn't directly connecting via IP address. That's just the way I've always done it. I was more meaning the account credentials and ability to actually connect are working.
Once you can get the computers to see each other, you're 90% of the way there. It's just this whole "new" Microsoft account thing that has made another mess. Not everything that can connect through windows file share likes accounts made using a Microsoft account. I have to assume it's the fact that your log in account is an email address in that case, and older software gets very confused when there's an @ in your username.

Reactions: Project Alice

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Once you can get the computers to see each other, you're 90% of the way there. It's just this whole "new" Microsoft account thing that has made another mess. Not everything that can connect through windows file share likes accounts made using a Microsoft account. I have to assume it's the fact that your log in account is an email address in that case, and older software gets very confused when there's an @ in your username.
No, I just never set my Windows account up as a MS account. I worked around that. The sole user account on the machine is a local admin account.

But now that you are bringing this up, that could be OP's issue. Something I didn't realize to begin with because I'd forgotten that MS wants you to use MS accounts now and not make local accounts.

Reactions: repairedCheese

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
This is most likely the answer. If you did not opt for a local account when setting up Windows 10 (and they make it very un-obvious in the recent versions) than I would suggest either removing your M$ account from Windows, or creating a new user, and setup your shares from user’s credentials instead.
Leopard should work out of the box, but I believe you’d be correct for Tiger. I usually use AFP for everything, my Windows use is pretty much limited to games.

Reactions: repairedCheese
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.