Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drdeez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2016
hello all

I have a retina MacBook pro 2012 a1398 z0ml4ll/a

I bought the option with a 768 gb hard drive

it looks like my MacBook took a turn for the worse, while playing video games or youtube it would sometimes just shut down / reset

eventually the screen just didn't really turn on (but I would hear sounds like volume up / down)

I took it to the store and they told me it would be flat rate 1300 to fix,

given it cost me 2800 or something to buy, I didn't really wanna spend another 1300 to fix.

I opened it up and my suspicion is that the graphics card died because the computer turns on, the caps lock key lights up, but it boots into windows and not osx (I had 2 os installed on it)

when I plugged it into my TV it wouldn't detect a display so I don't think it was the screen itself, but rather the graphics processor

anyway that's all in the past. now I have taken out the hard drive and I bought a new Lenovo laptop.

I want to transfer the data from my old hard drive to any new drive.

i'm thinking of buying thunderbolt -> thunderbolt cable and doing the data transfer thing from mac to a friends mac,

but at the same time since this new Lenovo doesn't have a SSD I want to use my old hard drive (if it is viable still) and put it into my new Lenovo laptop

what is the type of adapter that I would need to move my old mac ssd hard drive into my new Lenovo laptop?

for reference I bought a Lenovo ideapad 310

this is some of the info I was able to extract regarding the chips on my hard drive using this teardown guide:
https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook+Pro+15-Inch+Retina+Display+Mid+2012+Teardown/9462

s4lj204x01
k9phgy8u5a
k4t26314qf

will something like this work? https://www.amazon.com/SATA-mSATA-M...=1473908386&sr=8-3&keywords=a1398+ssd+adapter

thanks for all the help in advance.

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA

drdeez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2016
youre right,

the item I bought let me convert from ssd --> SATA

so I had to additionally buy a SATA--> USB converter with cord ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812400542 )

this allowed me to take my old SSD mac HD and plug it into a USB cord and remove the files using a friends MacBook.

however, I was not able to use the ssd --> sata converter and use it to boot from my Lenovo,

so at this point i'm still stuck on finding a solution to boot into my old mac OS X ( I have a lot of sticky notes that I want to recover that don't appear to be saved anywhere)

I have 2 additional questions

1) I am contemplating buying a refurbished mac mini (I already have my own external mouse, keyboards are cheap). is it possible to connect a mac mini to the retina display on my now logicboard-dead retina MacBook pro? I would want to bypass the defunct hardware of the retina MacBook pro itself and just want to use it for the display.

2) does anyone know of a comprehensive list of what hardware/bios will allow for booting into mac os x? specifically the hardware/bios of my Lenovo ideapad 310

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
As far as i know there is no way to use a MacBook screen as monitor without the computer working.

If I remember rightly Toms hardware has good hackintosh guides. Here is a list of the best laptops for them, a couple of idea pads on there so you could be okay.

drdeez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2016
As far as i know there is no way to use a MacBook screen as monitor without the computer working.

If I remember rightly Toms hardware has good hackintosh guides. Here is a list of the best laptops for them, a couple of idea pads on there so you could be okay.

thanks for all your help

I did some research on ideapads and I think i'll just sit on this MacBook HD until I build a new desktop system next year and ill specifically buy mac os x / hackintosh pieces

thanks again

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.