Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
I am looking at a new router. Right now I have Netgear Orbi RBR 50 Mesh with one satellite in the house. And I have a Apple AirPort Extreme, last generation, out in the barn. The house works great as is. I have 3 Nest Cameras, and Apple TV, phone, MacBook, iPad, etc.

In the barn I have 2 cameras and the outside one is a little far away, it works but is stretching it and I’d like to get one more camera that will be about 120 ft from the router. It’s a pole barn so the walls are steel. 120 ft will be all outdoors after going through one wall.

So, I’m wondering if I should get s a new router for the barn, or maybe move the Orbi to the barn and get a new router for the house. Has tech moved enough that a new router will be a decent update from the Orbi? If not then I’ll probably try a better router in the barn, not a mesh system.

Either way, any suggestions on what I should get? I see some pretty good deals at N B ew Egg and Best Buy either now or for Black Friday

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I am looking at a new router. Right now I have Netgear Orbi RBR 50 Mesh with one satellite in the house. And I have a Apple AirPort Extreme, last generation, out in the barn. The house works great as is. I have 3 Nest Cameras, and Apple TV, phone, MacBook, iPad, etc.

In the barn I have 2 cameras and the outside one is a little far away, it works but is stretching it and I’d like to get one more camera that will be about 120 ft from the router. It’s a pole barn so the walls are steel. 120 ft will be all outdoors after going through one wall.

So, I’m wondering if I should get s a new router for the barn, or maybe move the Orbi to the barn and get a new router for the house. Has tech moved enough that a new router will be a decent update from the Orbi? If not then I’ll probably try a better router in the barn, not a mesh system.

Either way, any suggestions on what I should get? I see some pretty good deals at N B ew Egg and Best Buy either now or for Black Friday
If I’m not mistaken, the Orbi mesh has an outdoor satellite router as an option to the network. It’s a little pricey from what I recall but would mounting that on the outside wall of barn the help?

Reactions: jjk454ss

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
If I’m not mistaken, the Orbi mesh has an outdoor satellite router as an option to the network. It’s a little pricey from what I recall but would mounting that on the outside wall of barn the help?
I’ll have to check that out. Thanks

Reactions: Itinj24
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.