Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BebeDahling

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2015
Missouri
1) Can I do a complete System Back up with Time Machine.

This would be used when my internal hard drive is no longer operating? Crashes, zip, cannot excess.
I have a Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Med 2015.

I think Time Machine only updates the data files. Is there a way to do a System backup? I think I would have to boot up from the external hardware (not sure how to do this but I'm assuming I could find that with a search engine). and copy over or restore the system files and the data files.

2) After the last Time Machine backup a Message popped up that said my Mac hadn't been updated in 57 days. I had just backed up. I did a verify and it said it was ok. Now I'm waiting for a new announcement the says I haven't back up for 65 days.

I've looked by entering the Time Machine and the time line in red shows NOW. Is that how I can determine if I am current on my back up. I am on a 2T external hard drive. When I look at the files my "security folder" I put on my desktop, "Backup 09-16 shows on the external HD.
Does it make a complete backup on the external HD.

I know it shouldn't but it makes me feel like an idiot. Sometimes I wish I kept my Windows LT. At least I understood what was happing when I backed up.

Can anybody help and explain this Time Machine to an old granny?

KeesMacPro

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2019
Hi

Time Machine is mainly an application to backup your data files.
If I understood your post correctly, you're looking for a way to use a backup as a working OS to boot from (when needed).
To avoid some headaches with Time Machine: there are applications that do exactly what you're looking for by making a clone of the drive.

Personally I prefer CarbonCopyCloner for backups (never use TimeMachine) : it's very easy to use and makes a 100% identical clone of the drive (and it's much faster in doing that than TimeMachine).
So in case of recovery you can boot from the clone and clone it back to the internal drive.
CCC can be installed with a 30-day trial for free, so you could give it a try.

To your questions:
1) Can I do a complete System Back up with Time Machine.
I'd use CCC for that and forget about Time Machine ; )
I think I would have to boot up from the external hardware (not sure how to do this
Bootable volumes show up in preferences> startup disk
So you can choose a volume and restart or simply startup the Mac and keep the option key pressed : this will show all bootable volumes available.
2) After the last Time Machine backup a Message popped up that said my Mac hadn't been updated in 57 days. I had just backed up. I did a verify and it said it was ok.
Not sure what caused this error , I suspect Time Machine but it could be the external drive itself.
If you'd like to test the health of the drive : DriveDX is an excellent tool for this.

I'm afraid I didnt explain a lot about Time Machine, nevertheless I hope to be of some help.

Best.

Last edited:

madrich

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
As long as you do not exclude the system files in the Time Capsule settings. It should backup your entire PC drive. You will need to note the backup date to know that the backup date includes the system files. Later if you backup only the data files by excluding the system files it will not reference the system files. The problem is the Time Capsule does not readily identify the contents of backup unless you look inside.

Personally I would backup everything. The way the Time Capsule works it is not re-copying all the system files with each backup, only the changes to those files. However, the system backup will not be good if you change to another macOS. It will not allow you to search the prior OS files and data to extract a given data file. You will need to start over with Migration Assistant to retrieve your data files for the new macOS.

Also, you should note that the Time Capsule is slow and does not readily show the current last backup available until it rests and completes a re-index process.

Last edited:

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
I think Time Machine only updates the data files. Is there a way to do a System backup? I think I would have to boot up from the external hardware (not sure how to do this but I'm assuming I could find that with a search engine). and copy over or restore the system files and the data files.

Can anybody help and explain this Time Machine to an old granny?
time machine backs up everything on your mac
if you need a photo, file or older safari version- time machine has that
if you have a version of osx you don't like or is too much for your mac
you can restore the mac with a previous version.

hope this cleared time machine up!

i have 5 time machine back ups of Snow Leo, lion, Mt Lion, El Cap and Mojave
for example:
this morning i needed a 2012 photo of ducks, which was lion time machine on an external hard drive

madrich

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
time machine backs up everything on your mac
if you need a photo, file or older safari version- time machine has that
if you have a version of osx you don't like or is too much for your mac
you can restore the mac with a previous version.

hope this cleared time machine up!

i have 5 time machine back ups of Snow Leo, lion, Mt Lion, El Cap and Mojave
for example:
this morning i needed a 2012 photo of ducks, which was lion time machine on an external hard drive
You are correct TM backups everything on your Mac as long as you do not exclude files under the TM options window. If you are using one macOS on your Mac then TM backups everything the first time, subsequent backups only backup new or revised folder files, but they are all indexed to the first backup files, as if they all are backed-up entirely. This is why if you delete a backup in the middle of your time line TM needs to re-index everything and can get confused. Therefore I would only delete the earliest backup, if necessary, like to release TM space.

You are only to cross over to other macOS systems because you maintain them separately. If you did not you would have to inherit the data from the other systems to the current system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.