Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hub3rt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2017
Manchester
Hi there,

To give you a bit of background :

I previously had a 15" 2016 rMBP with Touch Bar at my old job, I left the job and I have recently been working on my older personal MacBook Air from home with my new business. Yesterday I took delivery of a 13" 2017 rMBP. I had some huge issues with migration assistant and gatekeeper / APFS with files not opening after a migration, which googling seemed to be quite common, and had to reset the rMBP and do a migration via hard drive instead.

So... You have the background which might help with my question. The question I have is, should Touch ID work for admin related tasks, when I use the Padlock in System Preferences for example to unlock and make changes?

I'm 99% certain that on my old 15" rMBP when I pressed the padlock to make changes (System Preferences, Users and Groups for example) that Touch ID would prompt itself as well as the option to input password.

However I am not getting any Touch ID prompt and am having to type my password in each time. Is this normal? I don't have the 15" to replicate anymore but I'm certain it was previously possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.