Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jlames

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2020
I’ve not been keeping up with current models, content with my 2012 dual core Mac Tower upgraded to run Mojave with 96M memory and 4TB old-style storage for my FCPX, Illustrator, Photoshop, Lightroom and the like but it’s slowing down now and I can’t load the latest versions of the software I mentioned. We’ve had a website and YT channel that we’ve been maintaining at AmesGroupUSA.com seemingly forever and I’m a semi-retired real estate lawyer but with an avocation of A/V and internet production dating back to the late 90s. I don’t really care about 4k for what I do today and it’s just time to get a new system. I’m thinking a used or refurbished Mac Studio but I really don’t know. Anything you all can suggest.

Last edited:

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019
Yes, a refurbed Mac Studio would run circles around the machine you’re using. You say you’re not worried about 4K, which is fine. What format are you using? Are you capturing footage into the machine with a capture card, or just taking SD cards from the camera to load into the editor? If the latter, it’s a pretty simple upgrade, just choose specs that you want for the studio. If you’re using HDSDI or something, you’ll want to be sure you can get that into your new machine with a dongle or external accessory.

Most storage can be adapted to be used externally, but you’ll need enclosures for your 4tbs of hard drives. You could also just get an external 4tb ssd and use that for footage.

Jlames

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2020
Thank you so much for your response at this late hour. I’m currently importing video from my 90 D Canon via card and from my drone also via card. Nothing fancy. I just want a system that will work for me with the stated programs; a lot of FCP X and Illustrator/Photoshop. I’m no Martin Scorsese so my output for our Internet website is only 1920 x 1080; nothing special as it works for the homes we’re selling. Also, I’d like to get away from conventional storage in my era and move to Solid State. I’m just confused about cores and other cores and all the mumbo-jumbo, ie APPLE MAC STUDIO M2 MAX 1TB SSD 64GB RAM 12-CORE 30-CORE GPU

Last edited:

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019
Thank you so much for your response at this late hour. I’m currently importing video from my 90 D Canon via card and from my drone also via card. Nothing fancy. I just want a system that will work for me with the stated programs; a lot of FCP X and Illustrator/Photoshop. I’m no Martin Scorsese so my output for our Internet website is only 1920 x 1080; nothing special as it works for the homes we’re selling. Also, I’d like to get away from conventional storage in my era and move to Solid State. I’m just confused about cores and other cores and all the mumbo-jumbo, ie APPLE MAC STUDIO M2 MAX 1TB SSD 64GB RAM 12-CORE 30-CORE GPU
Basically, if you stay working with 1080p footage, I’d think anything in the Pro category or above will work. There are multiple core and GPU options for each chip: the more cores, obviously the more expensive. Unless you’re running more than one monitor at 4K resolutions or above, you won’t really need a Max chip. The studio specs you have listed are quite powerful for your work indeed, probably overkill. Based on what you’ve been using, I’d say your money is better spent on RAM, though 96 gigs on an Apple silicon machine is actually quite a lot. I posted elsewhere that I’m using a MacBook Pro M1 Max with 32 gigs of RAM and so far it’s been quite good even using Davinci which seems to crave ram. The machine you listed is quite good, and if you really get into photoshop illustrator, etc, would serve you well. Aside from that machine you’d just need to budget for monitor and external ssd storage.

Jlames

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2020
Thanks again. Any chance I can still use my 30” Cinema monitors?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    476.4 KB · Views: 17

Regulus67

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2023
Värmland, Sweden
I have a 2007 30" Cinema Display. But I can not get it to work with anything else than my Mac Pro 3.1.
This Club 3D adapter version did not work with my Display. Even if many has had success.
It depends on your screen version.

I bought a very cheap 27" Thunderbolt Display (1440p), which works flawlessly with my Mac Pro 7.1 using a Thunderbolt adapter

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.