Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aibo82

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010
Battery health in settings is a great way for Apple to manipulate the percentage per update. then we have the pressure on us to sell up and upgrade before that battery hits the crucial 83% capacity, where no one will buy it on eBay!

Eriamjh1138@DAN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
BFE, MI
I used my iPhone 7 Plus for four years and its performance was always great. Had to replace the battery and it was even shutting down and failing due to some new fault with the logic bird, but it never “slowed down”.

My 12 is fine. At 82% battery, though.

VineRider

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2018
My 13 Pro, purchased late Nov 2021 is still at 100% battery health. Used every day, put on a charger (5w) every night for 8+ hours. No issues and battery life is very good.

lkalliance

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2015
My 13 Pro, purchased late Nov 2021 is still at 100% battery health. Used every day, put on a charger (5w) every night for 8+ hours. No issues and battery life is very good.
Replace "13 Pro" with "13 mini", "Nov 2021" with "Jan 2022" and "100%" with "99%" and that's me, too.

(and if I had some ham, I'd have ham and eggs if I had the eggs)

Reactions: VineRider

hcherry

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2012
Yeah for sure. My uncle works at Apple and he tells me that they do this on purpose to make you upgrade. Apple and their trillions of dollars have this plan where they monitor the battery health of all iPhones on a grid. When a new iPhone is about to be launched, they activate this software execution where they slow down your iPhone to the point where it's noticeable to the trained eye smartphone tech enthusiast.

They do this to force you to upgrade to a new iPhone every year. Because it makes much more sense to do this, than to give great customer service and software support to keep us using more and more of their apps and services to bring in the loads of money. Nah, it forces us to buy another $1,200 iPhone instead, this is their master plan all along. Lmfao.
Apple be like:
1661975903091.jpeg

😂

• Haha
Reactions: LacrosseChic

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
My iPhone XR battery has been at 82% for a while now and not making it through a whole day. I bought an Apple battery case and it’s been stellar. I’ve been updating right along keeping iOS up to date. My battery issues happened way before any of this conspiracy stuff you’re spouting right now. Apple does take 2 steps forward and then 3 back in battery life every time iOS is updated, but eventually they get it fixed. Does feel like they took a very long time this release (iOS 15), but I’m happy with how things have turned. Apple isn’t forcing anyone to upgrade their iPhone. I’m off that hamster wheel and I’ll get back on when I am damn good and ready, not before.
Wish they would make Smart Battery Cases again. Loved those

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I do feel that my battery life on my 13 pro max is draining on this current ios 15.6.1 It was fine on previous ios (ios.15.6). oh well installing ios 16 public beta so hopefully that will resolve it for now.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5105973

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
My SE2022‘s Battery sucked from the start. It drains so fast I have it on constant energy save mode (with a shortcut that enables energy save after battery dropping below 100%) and always carry a power bank.

No connection with any event although (apart from the se 22 launch).

By the way: as I‘m writing this, I notice this is really not a good state. Maybe it‘s a fault in the product?

I do the same thing for my 12 Pro Max. I’ve been using low power mode 24/7 for a year now. I’ve been carrying a portable charger box everyday out of habit because of my job.

• Wow
Reactions: 5105973

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
No, I think we should take this seriously. Has anyone written Tim yet to get to the bottom of this? Why hasn’t MR made this a front page story?!

Man, where has journalistic credibility gone these days? Is it really so hard to research iPhone slowdown near the keynote? Everyone’s got an iPhone right? Just look at your iPhone and notice it. Take notes. Record battery percentages.

y’all really need to focus and help solve this conspiracy if you care at all about Apple.

My battery in 12 Pro Max has went to shot since it hit 1 year. This is the 1st iPhone I’ve ever had with a bad battery. I’ve had it almost 2 years and am at 82%, charging it 2-3 times a day. I top it when I’m driving, which isn’t far from home and work.

• Sad
Reactions: JM and Fred Zed

mikethemartian

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2017
Melbourne, FL
My X performs extremely well on 15.6.1. Battery life has actually improved after upgrading from 15.6 so maybe your experience is not the norm
When I first upgraded to 14.6 my X battery’s duration after a full charge dropped precipitously immediately after the update. But the phone itself did not slow down so I was happy with that. Previously my experience was upgrading my 4s from 7 to 8 and that pretty much made it unusable. But that didn’t happen with the X.

Reactions: BugeyeSTI

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
New iPhone soon to be released. And my old iPhone’s battery suddenly draining much more quickly than before and apps being slower. Same thing every year! This is hardly a coincidence. Anyone else noticed the same thing?
That’s what I tell my spouse when I’m trying to lobby for a new phone. “It just suddenly got a lot slower. Needs replacing.“ 😆

Kissmo1980

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2021
I had 3 iPhones in my life: 4S, 7 Plus and 11 Pro max.

4s:
1 and half year of normal usage, battery health dropped within 6 months by more than 10%

7 Plus:
2 years, normal usage (ran beta iOS) - battery health dropped within 2 months from 97% to 91%

11 Pro Max:
3 years (almost), normal usage (no Beta iOS) - battery health dropped from 95% to 85% within 2 months.

It's more likely battery life span - but they do take a hit also from the OS. With every update, the CPU gets hotter, more resources required, and I presume that affect the health.
It's most likely a mix of battery life span and new OSes impacting the temps and the drainage of the phone.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I had 3 iPhones in my life: 4S, 7 Plus and 11 Pro max.

4s:
1 and half year of normal usage, battery health dropped within 6 months by more than 10%

7 Plus:
2 years, normal usage (ran beta iOS) - battery health dropped within 2 months from 97% to 91%

11 Pro Max:
3 years (almost), normal usage (no Beta iOS) - battery health dropped from 95% to 85% within 2 months.

It's more likely battery life span - but they do take a hit also from the OS. With every update, the CPU gets hotter, more resources required, and I presume that affect the health.
It's most likely a mix of battery life span and new OSes impacting the temps and the drainage of the phone.

I have a launch day12 Pro Max that is still on iOS 14.1. The battery health has been sitting at 82%, since the beginning of August. I’m going to have the battery changed once it hit 80% or less.

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
My battery in 12 Pro Max has went to shot since it hit 1 year. This is the 1st iPhone I’ve ever had with a bad battery. I’ve had it almost 2 years and am at 82%, charging it 2-3 times a day. I top it when I’m driving, which isn’t far from home and work.
I’m assuming the charge habits were similar with other iPhones you’ve had? And is the 2-3 times charging because the 12 max specifically ran out of battery quickly?

That does sound bad, and you’re not the only one I’ve read that has issues with the 12 battery life.

When I read about this issue, my immediate thought was that Apple had to source sub-par batteries during the 2020 lockdowns… and then of course never admit anything.

Sorry you got a bunk phone.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I’m assuming the charge habits were similar with other iPhones you’ve had? And is the 2-3 times charging because the 12 max specifically ran out of battery quickly?

That does sound bad, and you’re not the only one I’ve read that has issues with the 12 battery life.

When I read about this issue, my immediate thought was that Apple had to source sub-par batteries during the 2020 lockdowns… and then of course never admit anything.

Sorry you got a bunk phone.

Yes the charging habits are the same. I even still use the 5W brick that came with my XS Max and I’ve had optimized battery charging turned on since day 1. My 12 Pro Max do run out of battery fast. I really believe that Apple used sub-par batteries for the 12 series. This is is the worst battery in any iPhone I’ve had.

• Love
Reactions: JM and 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
My SE2022‘s Battery sucked from the start. It drains so fast I have it on constant energy save mode (with a shortcut that enables energy save after battery dropping below 100%) and always carry a power bank.

No connection with any event although (apart from the se 22 launch).

By the way: as I‘m writing this, I notice this is really not a good state. Maybe it‘s a fault in the product?
Mine has been good but then again I don’t have 5G at all and don’t have full bars on 4 G either. But whenever I’m in an area with good 5G service all my 5G phones drain faster. That’s Pixel 6 Pro, S22 Ultra and SE 2022. I currently have my AT&T sims in the Ultra and the SE.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Yes the charging habits are the same. I even still use the 5W brick that came with my XS Max and I’ve had optimized battery charging turned on since day 1. My 12 Pro Max do run out of battery fast. I really believe that Apple used sub-par batteries for the 12 series. This is is the worst battery in any iPhone I’ve had.
I only briefly had the iPhone 12 and it drained super fast. My oldest daughter has a 12 Pro and complains of fast draining. She came from an XR. My 12 Pro Max lasted a long time on a charge though. I think it’s a combination of the 5G modem being power hungry on 5G and some of the batteries being sub standard. Social media apps like Insta and FB and Reddit seem to put a strain on the battery according to my kids and husband. I don’t use social media apps so I don’t have those issues. Back in the day when I had FB it drained battery harshly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.