Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skoone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2006
Hi all-

Not to keep filling up the forum with more "new Macbook Air" threads, but I just had to throw in my comments for what it is worth. Best Buy sent out the usual fall promotion of 18 months same as cash deal on any purchases $499 or more. I couldn't resist any longer and went for a Rev. C with SSD. I must humbly admit that part of my purchasing decision for the SSD was because of Scottsdale's passion regarding the subject.. And I have to say that the added cost of the SSD was worth it to me. It is dead silent and even though it's performance isn't blazing fast, it is certainly more than adequate. Anyway, the computer arrived yesterday afternoon and the very first thing I did before I even turned it on was to flip it upside down, take the bottom off and re-apply the thermal heat sink grease. This particular unit was not too bad off. In fact, none of the grease was physically on any part of either IC chip except on the processor portion itself. The metal heat sink however, was a different story. I found thermal grease smeared all over the underside. I proceeded to clean off the excess and the grease essentially chipped and fell into my hands! I have worked enough years in troubleshooting and repair of electronics to know that this grease used in my computer was a very cheap poor grade. Or perhaps it was a very old grease used. It was not fresh in any way, and certainly not capable to efficiently transfer heat. After cleaning off the old grease, I applied part of a recently purchased tube of Arctic Silver 5. I then put the machine all back together and fired it up. By the way, the computer came with 10.5 Leopard installed, however, a Snow Leopard 10.6 disk was included in the box! It is labeled "CPU Drop-In".. I suppose it's an upgrade disk? I didn't bother using it, I simply grabbed my recently purchased retail version of SL and performed a clean install. The fan ran wide open during the install process (no real surprise there) but afterwards, once I installed all of my user software and the system kindly leveled out, I haven't heard the fan run since, and the bottom of the computer is luke warm to the touch. I tested some web surfing, email, watching one or two videos, did a little audio streaming and so forth, and the computer held it's own just fine.

Bottom line is that I am very pleased with the Air. It's very lightweight, and coming from a first gen aluminum Macbook, it's a refreshing change. Getting rid of that DVD drive that I almost never used in the past is a blessing! I used an LG Slim GSA-E50L USB powered drive to install SL. It worked like a charm! By the way, this is a production run 2009, week 33 unit. It utilizes a 9c90 screen and if there are lines, they're not a problem to me because I don't see them, either that, or I don't see what others are seeing. It's a portable computer for use out in the field. It's plenty adequate for my need.

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
Interesting read, thanks, I'm almost in your position (haven't purchased it yet)

Just a question - it'd be useful for us if you could quantify how much AS5 you applied, especially with your experience with repair/troubleshooting

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Congratulations on your new MBA. I hope you're as happy with yours as I have been with mine.

I haven't replaced my thermal paste on my rev C yet, but I probably will over the holiday season this Winter. It would be nice to know the method you used to apply? Did you take any photos?

I have never, to this day, heard my fan blowing full out on my rev C. Interesting to hear of others who hear theirs. I am amazed by how totally silent my MBA runs. I remember my MBP and original MBA both sounding like helicopters at times and feeling like radiators.

Best wishes with your new MBA. Welcome to the club!

TerrorOFdeath

macrumors member
May 15, 2008
I would like to know how the fans react on usuale work with the MBA.

My guess is, thats it pretty quiet. But how's when you watch movies?

Like 720p or even 1080p.

Can anyone comment on this please? I would also consider the C rev with an SSD.

Tod

Qusus

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2009
I must ask, why did you purchase a retail version of SL when your Air already comes with the upgrade disc?

There is no difference in any of the actual content (yes you can do a clean install with an upgrade disc), the only difference is that the upgrade disc is not supposed to be used with any other computer than the one it came with.

nph

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2005
I am curious what your temperature in idle was before and after the new thermal paste?

Or during surfing before and after...

rjphoto

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2005
I must ask, why did you purchase a retail version of SL when your Air already comes with the upgrade disc?

There is no difference in any of the actual content (yes you can do a clean install with an upgrade disc), the only difference is that the upgrade disc is not supposed to be used with any other computer than the one it came with.

He said he had recently purchased it... must have gotten it before he got the MBA.

alpinadvl

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2008
this is a production run 2009, week 33 unit. It utilizes a 9c90 screen and if there are lines, they're not a problem to me because I don't see them, ....

I second that... just got a Rev. C yesterday - production run is 2009, week 33.... 9C90 unit... and I strained to find lines....(which I can identify clearly on the floor models in the apple store) - I barely see any lines on my computer.

I say 'barely' because I think I am imagining lines... but they are not there !

alf

MacLadybug

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2008
Snow Leopard before and after?

Anyone have any reports of any differences in performance on their Airs after installing SL?? Inquiring minds want to know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.