Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DoctorApple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 18, 2017
WTF. I had series 0 and it didn't come with the orange sport band. Learnt the hard way that sweat damages the leather band pretty quickly. Now, if I had an orange sport band from a previous gen, I would go for a regular Apple Watch 4 and just buy an Hermès band later, but I don't. The only downside of that is that I wouldn't get any Hermès watch faces. (It's not like they're very helpful. I didn't use Siri face on my Series 0 because I wanted the Hermès face. If I don't get Hermès face, I would definitely go for the more informational designs.)

Anyone else hoping to get a Series 4 Hermès Watch in gold? Where can I find a genuine M/L Hermès Orange Sport Band for sale separately?

Last edited:

speed608

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2015
Malawi
I have also been looking at getting the Hermes Watch for the first time as i have always liked the watch face and the leather strap, but was disappointed to find that only silver is available.Also no option of GPS only model as i don't need cellular function.But do you think the Hermes addition is worth so much more than the normal SS just due to the straps and the faces.I'm trying to convince my self that they are as like everything else its all about the brand today.

DoctorApple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 18, 2017
I'm trying to convince my self that they are as like everything else its all about the brand today.
It's totally about the brand. And since they started selling Hermes bands separately, you can always buy a regular one and swap the bands later should you choose. The only difference is that you won't get the exclusive watch faces (although they're just plain time faces) and no exclusive Hermes Orange Sport Band which is only included with the branded version.

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
I have also been looking at getting the Hermes Watch for the first time as i have always liked the watch face and the leather strap, but was disappointed to find that only silver is available.Also no option of GPS only model as i don't need cellular function.But do you think the Hermes addition is worth so much more than the normal SS just due to the straps and the faces.I'm trying to convince my self that they are as like everything else its all about the brand today.

I own an Hermès version because the stock Apple faces look ridiculous, especially in a business or dress setting. I haven’t regretted the purchase. The bands are of the highest quality and the Watch looks amazing. Odd that it doesn’t come in gold, but then again the Hermès version is very low volume so not sure it makes sense.

Reactions: Boardiesboi

speed608

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2015
Malawi
I own an Hermès version because the stock Apple faces look ridiculous, especially in a business or dress setting. I haven’t regretted the purchase. The bands are of the highest quality and the Watch looks amazing. Odd that it doesn’t come in gold, but then again the Hermès version is very low volume so not sure it makes sense.

Yes you are right, that’s one of the main reasons the Hermès Watch has been so attractive.Ive been reading on the forum that they are quite difficult to find though so hope I manage to find what I like.

I’ve always had the sport watches and they hold up well with scratches as I’m very careful, how has your SS casing held up overtime as I don’t like scratches.

Reactions: e-coli

tgara

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA

I think the Hermes models start with the same mass-produced Watch models, and add a bit of engraving on the back, extra software, and different packaging. I don't see why they couldn't start with a few gold models...

I agree with you though that the Hermes models look amazing. Can't wait to get one for the wife.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
My S2 was the Hermes. I assume they just want to keep consistent and that is why they've only ever offered the Hermes in SS.

That said, I got bored with it after awhile. Aside from nice packaging, a watch band I could buy separately anyway (my favorite part of it, really) and an orange sport band (do I really have to have one in orange?)... you have the faces.

And.... you only see the faces when you look at it.

Soo... while they are lovely, I never saw the point in any of it but the bands themselves.

I sold mine and used the proceeds to buy a S3 last year.

:)

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
Yes you are right, that’s one of the main reasons the Hermès Watch has been so attractive.Ive been reading on the forum that they are quite difficult to find though so hope I manage to find what I like.

I’ve always had the sport watches and they hold up well with scratches as I’m very careful, how has your SS casing held up overtime as I don’t like scratches.

It’s held up really well, but you still have to be quite careful. My first Apple Watch Sport got scratches on the glass, and the SS Apple Watch does get scratches on the steel but the sapphire never scratches. So it’s a trade-off. But overall even after plenty of wear and surfing or skiing the majority of weekends, it still looks great. The scratches on the steel are less noticeable than the scratches on the glass which my Apple Watch Sport had. I don’t regret the purchase at all. Still the nicest Apple device I’ve ever owned.

Last edited:

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
Probably due to band configurations, they assume the gold doesn't jive as perfectly as the silver - apple making the decision for you on what they think will look best. :)

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
Just wanted to add that the Hermès warranty is one year longer than the regular AW.

Btw for the orange band they come up on eBay from time to time. I’ve seen them sell for 150-200...

pesos

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2006
I got my wife the s2 SS and Hermes band separately. Custom face was pointless since we like to have pictures of the kids as our faces anyway. I’m happy with s3 ceramic so will give s4 a miss completely and see what happens next year.

Marzel

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2018
It is a bit weird since they could easily pair it with a beige or orange leather band. Also gold looks more premious which makes it a perfect fit for Hermès.

TheBearman

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2008
Cary, NC
You know you'd think they'd try to sell these more aggressively but so little of the "value" is published on the site. I didn't originally know that this version came with an extra year of warranty and longer complimentary support. Pricy bands, no doubt, that you can buy on their own. And some exclusive faces, which I can't find images of the Hermès only ones. Guess I'm saying that if you're going to buy the band to apply to some other Apple Watch, the extra coverage might make it worth while to buy the Hermès directly. As for why no gold, got me. I know the original offering had a VERY expensive solid gold case model.... If I remember it was like 17k.

speed608

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2015
Malawi
If you work out the purchase of the 44mm Hermes @ $1,500 against the normal SS with extra purchase of the Hermes Single Tour Deployment strap you would save $211 over the Hermes watch,but you don't get the watch faces and the Exclusive Orange strap. To me personally it's a fair price to pay especially with the added warranty period.But the price for a watch that you will most likely want to change when there is a design revision or substantial feature upgrades is a bit much as whole.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
You know you'd think they'd try to sell these more aggressively but so little of the "value" is published on the site. I didn't originally know that this version came with an extra year of warranty and longer complimentary support. Pricy bands, no doubt, that you can buy on their own. And some exclusive faces, which I can't find images of the Hermès only ones. Guess I'm saying that if you're going to buy the band to apply to some other Apple Watch, the extra coverage might make it worth while to buy the Hermès directly. As for why no gold, got me. I know the original offering had a VERY expensive solid gold case model.... If I remember it was like 17k.

The Gold Edition watches offered in 2015 were not Hermes, though. And they were (I think) 17k and 20k? One style was with sport band and the other was with leather modern buckle band.

They wound up eventually slashing the price of those to about 75% of the original cost at most vendors and cleared them out eventually. Quite a few people posted here on MR about buying them for a fraction of the original price. And, yes, they were actual gold. And very heavy. I tried them on at the Apple Store in Stanford.

Hermes is best bought directly from Hermes, if you are sure which model you want, because they won't let you return it once you open it, unless it's defective... in which case they'll just send you another one like it.

The extra warranty is nice if you plan to keep it longer, but most people seem to upgrade these at least every couple of years, so the standard warranty really is fine.

I do like the Hermes faces, but once you buy the Hermes, there's a tendency to feel like those are the faces you SHOULD use, or it's really not Hermes. :D

I found getting rid of mine really liberating. I love the watch bands most of all. Those are excellent.

But, you can wear those with any Apple Watch.

As for the orange sport band, Apple sells one. No, it's not Hermes orange, but man... does anyone really need HERMES ORANGE?

Nope. And, unless you live and work among people obsessed with labels, nobody cares. I will say the Hermes orange band is pretty, but sure not worth me buying a more expensive watch to get it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.