Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iamhermitcrab

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2020
Hi everyone,

I've developed a video organizer / player for Mac. If you have lots of video files on your Mac, this is the app for you.

You can download it for free from https://iamhermitcrab.com/

It's currently in an open beta. Please let me know how you think about it!

Last edited:

iamhermitcrab

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2020
I've just added a new feature. Now you can take a note while watching a video.

See this in action:

iamhermitcrab

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2020
More video file formats are supported now!

Screen Shot 2020-09-08 at 1.27.09 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-08 at 1.27.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-08 at 1.27.09 AM.png
    179.2 KB · Views: 313
Reactions: AleRod

iamhermitcrab

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2020
Screen Shot 2020-09-09 at 8.43.49 PM.png

Local containers are now supported. You can store your video files in an encrypted container!

iamhermitcrab

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2020
Awwwww, no support for Snow Leopard :/ I mean I should of guessed but I was hoping to find an app like this that puts video thumbnails in a Finder-style environment.

I'm sorry! Apple kept changing APIs on each major release, making it hard to support older OS versions. Their development toolkit assists updating to newer versions, but not backward in time. Currently, the minimum supported version of Hermit Crab is Mojave.
[automerge]1599786642[/automerge]
I always thought having a videos app was a glaring omission by Apple. Nice work bringing this to market!

Thank you so much!

iamhermitcrab

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2020
We've just added copy-and-pasting to Hermit Crab.
You can copy/paste your video files using the context menu or keyboard shortcuts (cmd+c/v). It also works when you are copy/pasting from/to Finder.

Screen Shot 2020-09-11 at 1.38.41 AM.png

Please use "Check for Updates" in the Hermit Crab menu to update to the latest version.

iamhermitcrab

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2020
As requested, I've added an on-screen display that shows the file info when opening a file.

Thanks for the feature idea. :)

Screen Shot 2020-09-20 at 8.49.51 PM.png

prometheus12

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2019
Hi,
This is pretty cool. I would like the playback controls to work even when the video is playing inline (within the organizer) without being popped out into its separate window. I would also like for the play, pause, star etc controls on the video in the organizer to always appear rather than on mouse over.

Also can you please add ability to control playback speed via controls and keyboard shortcuts. This feature is primarily what's keeping me from using this app more.

Finally it would be great to have the ability to not have the thumbnails view of the other videos in the directory animate.

Thanks

Last edited:

iamhermitcrab

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2020
Hi,
This is pretty cool. I would like the playback controls to work even when the video is playing inline (within the organizer) without being popped out into its separate window. I would also like for the play, pause, star etc controls on the video in the organizer to always appear rather than on mouse over.

Also can you please add ability to control playback speed via controls and keyboard shortcuts. This feature is primarily what's keeping me from using this app more.

Finally it would be great to have the ability to not have the thumbnails view of the other videos in the directory animate.

Thanks

Hi prometheus12, thank you for your suggestions!

Could you elaborate more on the playback speed control? How do you use the playback speed change? What do you use it for? How much do you change it? etc.. It would help me to understand the control in the right place and assign the right key.

You can turn off the animation or animate only during mouse-over. Please check the thumbnail tab in the Preferences.

By playback controls in quicklook in the organizer - do you mean arrow keys? (currently you can use mouse right-click and drag or touchpad two fingers press-and-drag to change the position)

Other suggestions make sense. Thanks for your input!

prometheus12

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2019
1. For playback speed I think it should be similar to youtbube options 0.5 to 2x in increments of .25. See attached image. My usecase is sometimes I need to quickly go through a long educational video and the speaker is speaking slowly so a 1.25 or 1.5x playback speed helps a lot.

2. Thanks

3. See attached image. Yes, I mean arrow keys, spacebar, up down for volume. The mouse right-click and drag or touchpad two fingers press-and-drag to change the position option is not convenient and doesn't give the skip granularity or usability of the left / right arrow key.

Attachments

• controls.png
    controls.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 306
  • playback.png
    playback.png
    924.5 KB · Views: 299
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.