Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dontlan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2024
I use my mac m2 with an external monitor, but when I put 75 hertz on it, my browsers stop being smooth, what could be the problem?

the strangest thing is that chrome becomes a little smoother if you set safari as the default browser.

I reinstalled the system 5 times, it didn't help(

Please don't tell me to use 60 hertz, it's nicer for my eyes to use 75 hertz.

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
maybe your eyes are used to your m2 120hz...so it is a difference between 120hz to 75
Or if its not that...remember mac is best besides 120 Hertz while chrome supports much more since its also main to work for all the RR of windows
  • 60 Hertz
  • 59.94 Hertz
  • 50 Hertz
  • 48 Hertz
  • 47.95 Hertz

dontlan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2024
maybe your eyes are used to your m2 120hz...so it is a difference between 120hz to 75
Or if its not that...remember mac is best besides 120 Hertz while chrome supports much more since its also main to work for all the RR of windows
  • 60 Hertz
  • 59.94 Hertz
  • 50 Hertz
  • 48 Hertz
  • 47.95 Hertz
No, I have a mac mini m2, does it support 120 hertz? apple website says max 60 hertz at 6k on hdmi, all other programs are stable at 75 hertz, but not chrome.

dontlan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2024
Step 1:

Stop using Chrome and use Safari or Firefox instead.
safari ******** that freezes even when scrolling YouTube, I don't know what the reason is, but I reinstalled the system 5 times! and safari refuses to work smoothly, and I have an account and a bunch of keys in chrome

meson

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2014
This is probably the best video I've seen, and now I see what people are talking about. The smooth scrolling is a result of inertial scrolling.

If you use a trackpad, and give the window a quick swipe, it will continue to move slowly eventually coming to rest. When you press and hold an arrow key on the keyboard, the system knows you want to continue scrolling, so it processes the scroll smoothly.

When you use a mouse with a discrete scroll wheel, it likely needs a driver that tells the system if the wheel scrolls at >N clicks per second that it needs to activate inertial scrolling. That doesn't seem to happen and so it treats scrolling with the scroll wheel like scrolling with a series of independent taps on the arrow keys.

As you know Apple tends to like to promote "lock-in" so it doesn't surprise me that they built the interface to respond more effectively to the swipe gestures used on their first party input devices. While I am sure that they could write a generic driver that fixes the problem, I doubt they will because they do not have any competing first party devices that would benefit from it. Their solution with the Mighty Mouse years ago was to have its scroll ball click to update changes in position with a higher resolution than most 3rd party scroll wheels.

dontlan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2024
This is probably the best video I've seen, and now I see what people are talking about. The smooth scrolling is a result of inertial scrolling.

If you use a trackpad, and give the window a quick swipe, it will continue to move slowly eventually coming to rest. When you press and hold an arrow key on the keyboard, the system knows you want to continue scrolling, so it processes the scroll smoothly.

When you use a mouse with a discrete scroll wheel, it likely needs a driver that tells the system if the wheel scrolls at >N clicks per second that it needs to activate inertial scrolling. That doesn't seem to happen and so it treats scrolling with the scroll wheel like scrolling with a series of independent taps on the arrow keys.

As you know Apple tends to like to promote "lock-in" so it doesn't surprise me that they built the interface to respond more effectively to the swipe gestures used on their first party input devices. While I am sure that they could write a generic driver that fixes the problem, I doubt they will because they do not have any competing first party devices that would benefit from it. Their solution with the Mighty Mouse years ago was to have its scroll ball click to update changes in position with a higher resolution than most 3rd party scroll wheels.
Then why don't people talk about it?

it works smoother in chrome, but after a few seconds, again in jerks, I'm tired of figuring out what the reason is.

sashavegas

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2018

dontlan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2024
sonoma 14.3.1

Attachments

• 1708464191132.png
    1708464191132.png
    50.8 KB · Views: 28

D-a-a-n

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2010
safari ******** that freezes even when scrolling YouTube, I don't know what the reason is, but I reinstalled the system 5 times! and safari refuses to work smoothly, and I have an account and a bunch of keys in chrome
In order for it to work you have to reinstall it 6 times. /s

Alameda

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2012
I use my mac m2 with an external monitor, but when I put 75 hertz on it, my browsers stop being smooth, what could be the problem?

the strangest thing is that chrome becomes a little smoother if you set safari as the default browser.

I reinstalled the system 5 times, it didn't help(

Please don't tell me to use 60 hertz, it's nicer for my eyes to use 75 hertz.
If you have a two-screen setup, with the built-in monitor and an external 75 Hz monitor, be sure the window you’re scrolling is only on one screen. If you’re scrolling across two screens, you may get erratic results because it’s trying to redraw the window at different rates.

dontlan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2024
If you have a two-screen setup, with the built-in monitor and an external 75 Hz monitor, be sure the window you’re scrolling is only on one screen. If you’re scrolling across two screens, you may get erratic results because it’s trying to redraw the window at different rates.
No, I checked, that's not the point, I have a mac mini, and I use it with 1 monitor, the fact is that the mac always stably supports only 60Hz, at 75 Hz it may be unstable in some applications, so you can't use a frequency higher than 60Hz on a mac m1-m3 without loss of stability. if you want your mac to work above 60 Hertz, you should buy m2 pro

Last edited:

mr_roboto

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2020
Instability generally means crashes in the English language. Applications don't crash just because you increased the display refresh rate from 60 to 75Hz.

None of your complaints are described well enough to understand what you're upset about. Please try to be more specific. Something like: when you do things X, Y, and Z, you expect to get result A, but instead get result B.

dontlan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2024
Instability generally means crashes in the English language. Applications don't crash just because you increased the display refresh rate from 60 to 75Hz.

None of your complaints are described well enough to understand what you're upset about. Please try to be more specific. Something like: when you do things X, Y, and Z, you expect to get result A, but instead get result B.
Sorry, English is not my native language

I mean, 75 hertz in some applications on my mac mini m2 do not work as smoothly as at 60 hertz, they seem to work at 40-50 hertz and this greatly irritates me, so I set the value to 60 hertz and in the future I will buy a mac mini on m2 pro

Now do you understand what I mean?

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
Sorry, English is not my native language

I mean, 75 hertz in some applications on my mac mini m2 do not work as smoothly as at 60 hertz, they seem to work at 40-50 hertz and this greatly irritates me, so I set the value to 60 hertz and in the future I will buy a mac mini on m2 pro

There are a lot of factors at play that could be causing this issue, and they may not be related to the Mac itself. The cable you're using for the display might not support refresh rates above 60Hz, and the display itself may be having issues properly reading the signal from the Mac.

dontlan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2024
There are a lot of factors at play that could be causing this issue, and they may not be related to the Mac itself. The cable you're using for the display might not support refresh rates above 60Hz, and the display itself may be having issues properly reading the signal from the Mac.
I've tried a huge number of cables, how can you explain the fact that in all programs 75 hertz goes smoothly and in some jerkily? Yes, it might be a monitor or cable problem) (I've tried about 8 monitors and tested different cables on each).
2Q0pmeGJ.png

mr_roboto

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2020

I think so.

Many applications don't have a lot of work put into making sure they animate at the same frame rate as the display refresh rate. A M2 Pro chip might help just because its GPU is faster, but it might not, depending on the application.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.