Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sexy4all

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2008
hi everybody,

This is my first time in the Forum and have a small question.

my macbook has been with me for 10 days and I'm totally happy to have this product so far but the thing is that i noticed (after reading much about macbook common problem) the two left hand side cosmetic screws issue and more than that noticed the trackpad is squishy on the right corner.

when I unhooked the battery I noticed that the rubber stuck to that circle situated underneath the trackpad is not centered. well, I said I'm not gonna lose anything when asking for my macbook to be replaced.

I phoned them this morning and arranged an appointment for pick up.

How long will it take at most to have a new one at most as I'm afraid it will take time?

sometime, It occurs to me to keep mine as it's small issues actually I'm on the fence

any body has experience

Thanks

sexy4all

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2008
Thanks SFStateStudent but it seems to me you didn't get my question :)

my question is how long will apple take to send me a new macbook for replacement?

best regards

Kalafut

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2008
pocatello
if there nice they will give you two day shipping or something, otherwise prolly 7 business days there and back

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
Sorry about that...

Thanks SFStateStudent but it seems to me you didn't get my question :)

my question is how long will apple take to send me a new macbook for replacement?

best regards

I misread your post. Should be abut 5-7 days turn around. I'm surprised they didn't just send you a new one and provide a box for return of your MB at no cost to you. :confused: Either way you'll be happy with your new MB! :cool:

sexy4all

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2008
I misread your post. Should be abut 5-7 days turn around. I'm surprised they didn't just send you a new one and provide a box for return of your MB at no cost to you. :confused: Either way you'll be happy with your new MB! :cool:

Hi SFStateStudent,

I don't know they informed I have to box it up very well and there will be a courier to pick it up and then they will send me the new one.

I don't have a clue whether they do send the new one first or not.

try to be in my position, will you ask for replacement or keep the current macbook and accept the small issue I stated above?

my regards

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Cosmetic screw issue? Squishy trackpad? Non-centered battery pad (which can't even be seen)?
Welcome to the Mac world. You'll fit right in.

EDIT: It'll take 5-10 working days to get a replacement.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
If they put a Brand New replacement MB...

Hi SFStateStudent,
I don't know they informed I have to box it up very well and there will be a courier to pick it up and then they will send me the new one.
I don't have a clue whether they do send the new one first or not.
try to be in my position, will you ask for replacement or keep the current macbook and accept the small issue I stated above?

my regards

on the table, go for it. I've been in your position and I was lucky enough to be 20 minutes from the Apple Store and walked out with a Brand New BlackBook 2.4 Penryn 250GB and traded straight across for my Mid-Level MB White (6 months old) 120GB HDD, that had minute scratches on the screen, but once they "blinked," I jumped on that puppy and made the most of the situation. No REGRETS! Good Luck, your being without your MB for a few days will be well worth the wait. KMA (Keep Me Advised) :cool:

pattman247

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2007
Toronto
on the table, go for it. I've been in your position and I was lucky enough to be 20 minutes from the Apple Store and walked out with a Brand New BlackBook 2.4 Penryn 250GB and traded straight across for my Mid-Level MB White (6 months old) 120GB HDD, that had minute scratches on the screen, but once they "blinked," I jumped on that puppy and made the most of the situation. No REGRETS! Good Luck, your being without your MB for a few days will be well worth the wait. KMA (Keep Me Advised) :cool:

I understand your situation SFStateStudent, since you got a pretty decent upgrade to go with your replacement, but this man's computer is BRAND NEW. What I realized after having 4 different macbooks is that they all have problems. Some have small ones, some have bigger issues, but you shouldn't stress too much about it or you'll be like me.

What you are describing sexy4all are really common macbook issues.
How do you know the next one won't have it aswell, let alone something much worse.

For the squishy mousepad, what I did was fold a thin piece of paper three times, cut it into a little square, and put it between the battery and mouse pad. You will never notice it again and spares the 10 day replacement, "starting from scratch again", and the risk of getting a worse computer.
If it's not overheating, or has a yellow screen, heck, even the whine, you should be really happy. Just to show you how all macbooks have issues this is my list;

1st macbook
backlight bleeding
squeaky hinge

2nd macbook
battery bulging (too far where I rest the macbook on the table, and the plastic is hitting the table, scratching the white plastic instantly

3rd macbook
great for 6 months, till harddrive crashed, second vibrated, etc etc
and: squishy sides (what you're talking about :confused:).
squeaky mousepad

be happy, because you will regret replacing it for only "those issues", since most all macbooks have it, and others have "worse" issues.

sexy4all

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2008
Cosmetic screw issue? Squishy trackpad? Non-centered battery pad (which can't even be seen)?
Welcome to the Mac world. You'll fit right in.

EDIT: It'll take 5-10 working days to get a replacement.

Small Issues GimmeSlack12 thus I might prefer to keep mine...

Thanks very much.

sexy4all

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2008

hi SFStateStudent again,

honestly, you made me laughing I can see how lucky you are to have apple store as near as 20 minutes walk.

I might sticks with the current macbook (just unnoticeable issues) I'm happy enough rather than waiting for 10 days or so actually I'm in urgent need to keep for studying purposes.

Any further advise, I'll be more than delighted to hear from you

best wishes

sexy4all

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2008
I understand your situation SFStateStudent, since you got a pretty decent upgrade to go with your replacement, but this man's computer is BRAND NEW. What I realized after having 4 different macbooks is that they all have problems. Some have small ones, some have bigger issues, but you shouldn't stress too much about it or you'll be like me.

What you are describing sexy4all are really common macbook issues.
How do you know the next one won't have it aswell, let alone something much worse.

For the squishy mousepad, what I did was fold a thin piece of paper three times, cut it into a little square, and put it between the battery and mouse pad. You will never notice it again and spares the 10 day replacement, "starting from scratch again", and the risk of getting a worse computer.
If it's not overheating, or has a yellow screen, heck, even the whine, you should be really happy. Just to show you how all macbooks have issues this is my list;

1st macbook
backlight bleeding
squeaky hinge

2nd macbook
battery bulging (too far where I rest the macbook on the table, and the plastic is hitting the table, scratching the white plastic instantly

3rd macbook
great for 6 months, till harddrive crashed, second vibrated, etc etc
and: squishy sides (what you're talking about :confused:).
squeaky mousepad

be happy, because you will regret replacing it for only "those issues", since most all macbooks have it, and others have "worse" issues.

hi pattman247,

In fact, I can say that you've got me nearly convinced I'm more than delighted to hear that from you.

initially, I was hesitated but as you mentioned above that only small issues and might take 10 days to get it replaced and besides who knows that I'm not gonna encounter the same issue again with the one replaced or worse.

by the way, when I was talking to apple about my issue I asked them to make sure and check the new one out before sending it to me that it doesn't have the same problem otherwise the replacement will be to no vail and he said we cannot check that for you.

to be honest, I wouldn't have noticed those small issues if didn't read and watch them on You tube and so.

how come have you got 4 different macbook,surprise surprise?

Do you treat MB very well? do you take care of it?

one last thing I wanna mention that when I was talking to apple this morning, I ask them:

can I ask you a private question? yes, sure he said. I said: why apple product designed in US and made or assembled in china is it just because of the cheap labour?

he said, it's a good question, yes for cheap labour as matter of fact and availability of Material.

"Cheap but on the other hand we have inaccuracy of finishing the job etc" I said...

I love apple and have every thing apple but I didn't like the china bit sorry.

anyway, I think I'm gonna call them to cancel the pick up appointment and keep the one I have right now.

more than delighted to have your opinions.

pattman247

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2007
Toronto
how come have you got 4 different macbook,surprise surprise?

Do you treat MB very well? do you take care of it?

one last thing I wanna mention that when I was talking to apple this morning, I ask them:

can I ask you a private question? yes, sure he said. I said: why apple product designed in US and made or assembled in china is it just because of the cheap labour?

he said, it's a good question, yes for cheap labour as matter of fact and availability of Material.

"Cheap but on the other hand we have inaccuracy of finishing the job etc" I said...

I love apple and have every thing apple but I didn't like the china bit sorry.

anyway, I think I'm gonna call them to cancel the pick up appointment and keep the one I have right now.

more than delighted to have your opinions.

i always take care of my things, but computers, like many other things, do come with flaws, even :apple: computers :D
I brasso'd my white macbook occasionally and used the magic eraser from time to time when it got dirty. my new blackbook has two cases on, the incase hardshell and incase nylon sleeve, both I highly recommend.
People were amazing how the condition of my macbook was, even though I took it many places, it still looked straight out of the assembly line, until the apple store scratched it to bits during repair. Eh, got me a new blackbook :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.