Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

critter13

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 23, 2010
Can anyone confirm if OS X will detect and enable h265 hardware acceleration in Polaris GPUs in a 5,1 mac pro? The cards support it but wasn't sure if OS X will leverage the card or if it is only for Kabby Lake CPUs.

Thanks!

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Can anyone confirm if OS X will detect and enable h265 hardware acceleration in Polaris GPUs in a 5,1 mac pro? The cards support it but wasn't sure if OS X will leverage the card or if it is only for Kabby Lake CPUs.

Thanks!

NO.

If you want this function on a cMP, you can only have it in other OS (e.g. Windows)

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010

FWIW, if you are encoding, the x265 people say that hardware accelerated H.265 encoding is poor quality. I have not been able to compare myself.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
FWIW, if you are encoding, the x265 people say that hardware accelerated H.265 encoding is poor quality. I have not been able to compare myself.
Its not that its poor, its just that its not good or great. It has its place, but generally only for time/latency sensitive applications.

For applications where you are going to process, then store, cpu/software.

critter13

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 23, 2010
I am more concerned with decode. Its a bummer to hear thats not supported. It looks like the hackintosh guys at tonymacx86 are having some luck with it. maybe support will be added with the eGPU support recently. Would love to have native hevc and HDR support.

Reactions: fabibcn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.