Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Corrode

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
Anyone else have issues with saying "Hey Siri" to your Apple Watch and having it activate on your iPhone at the same time.

I've had a 6s for a year and always used Hey Siri but I just got an Apple Watch and it's so annoying when they both start listening.

I thought iOS 10 devices were supposed to intelligently detect this according to this article: https://www.google.ca/amp/s/9to5mac...-hey-siri-multiple-devices/amp/?client=safari

Anyone else have issues?

pkahleeb

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2016
I turned it off on my phone because of this. However, I have issues with Siri dictating correctly and a lot of times Hey Siri doesn't work on my watch unless I reboot it every 2 or 3 days.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
Not having this specific issue, but sometimes Watch detects "Ehi Siri" even if I said something different.
iPhone doesn't have that problem, I guess it is related to the Watch's mic not having the same quality as the iPhone's

pkahleeb

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2016
Not having this specific issue, but sometimes Watch detects "Ehi Siri" even if I said something different.
iPhone doesn't have that problem, I guess it is related to the Watch's mic not having the same quality as the iPhone's
This may be right. I have had siri mess up some stuff when I am trying to dictate it on the watch. When you slow down and make sure you are saying things clearly and it still happens, that is when you quit using the feature.

TRICKorDEVICE

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2014
I'm having the same issue as OP. I had Hey Siri turned on and the system seemed to work 50% or less of the time (it seemed that more often than not my iPhone or pugged in iPad would activate Siri when speaking to the watch).

At the moment of I have turned off "Hey Siri" on both the iPhone and iPad and hope a future update fixes this feature.

blwade

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
There have been a couple times I've tried hey siri wanting it to go to my watch, but only the phone picks it up... I've never had it trigger both!

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
Anyone else have issues with saying "Hey Siri" to your Apple Watch and having it activate on your iPhone at the same time.

I've had a 6s for a year and always used Hey Siri but I just got an Apple Watch and it's so annoying when they both start listening.

I thought iOS 10 devices were supposed to intelligently detect this according to this article: https://www.google.ca/amp/s/9to5mac...-hey-siri-multiple-devices/amp/?client=safari

Anyone else have issues?
Try watch, iPhone, and iPad Pro :)

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
This may be right. I have had siri mess up some stuff when I am trying to dictate it on the watch. When you slow down and make sure you are saying things clearly and it still happens, that is when you quit using the feature.

If I slow down Siri gets the right words every time, but it is like talking to a little baby... Of course I want to speak naturally and not having to raise the Watch too close to my mouth.

Gmouse

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2014
Lakewood, CO
I had that problem while in the car (mainly) with the iphone also responding. I turned that off for the iphone, and it's not responding any more. But, the Gen2 seems to have more problems responding to "Hey, Siri!" than the Gen0...it only brings up Siri about 4 out of 5 times...

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
...and eventually they'll enable this on the mac, so we'll have even more devices responding at the same time.

Which is all the more reason why Apple should get over their ego and allow us to rename Siri on our devices. Fine, the feature is called Siri, but let us rename the assistant (or customize the invocation phrase), so we can decide which device we wish to converse with.

I'd also like them to "skin" Siri (different celebrity voices, purchased through the app store) :), but I doubt Apple will ever get there...we still don't have 3rd party watch faces for *&$%#& sake!! :(

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I think with newer microphone technologies coming out we're going to see beam forming used to not only tailor to your specific voice, but some type of calculation to determine which device you're intending on activating. This is probably still a few years out though.

xyion1

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2007
I've had it trigger on both phone and watch, especially when driving. The watch generally gets what I say, I find it very convenient on the watch (I'm the crazy person at Trader Joe's talking to his wrist texting - I cannot wait for earpods).

As an aside, I got an Echo Dot 2 and that can pick up my voice and understand when I'm upstairs - that microphone tech is really interesting, I'd like to see it start migrating to other devices.

johninsf

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2008
San Francisco, CA, USA

Anyone else have issues?

I just want to point out that the article mentioned says the feature *doesn't* work on the Apple Watch. It's possible they updated the article after you read it.

It's also possible Apple will have fixed this problem by the time you read *this*! :) I sure hope so.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
I just want to point out that the article mentioned says the feature *doesn't* work on the Apple Watch. It's possible they updated the article after you read it.

It's also possible Apple will have fixed this problem by the time you read *this*! :) I sure hope so.
It's also possible that Apple updated the watch since.

You revived a year old thread....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.