Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 23, 2014
I have been having a problem with the use of middle names with "Hey Sir".

It used to work fine, but I think it broke with iOS 13.

Basically, Siri doesn't match the middle name with the contact.

For example:

"Hey Siri, call Charles Foster Kane"

This used to work, but a few months back, it stopped working, saying that there isn't a Charles Foster Kane in my contacts.

I search and have not seen a fix, nor hardly anything about this. I guess most people do not use middle names with Siri.

I guess I would add their whole name to nick name, that might work, but I was wondering if anyone had a fix not a work around.

Also, can someone attempt to reproduce this on their iPhone? I am curious if this is a common bug or if it just doesn't work on my iPhone.

Dave.Inwood1988

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2019
Hi,

If I remember you go into the contact card, press edit, scroll down press ’Add Field’ then choose ‘Nickname’ add the whole name as nickname save and exit.

Should work fine

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 23, 2014
Hi,

If I remember you go into the contact card, press edit, scroll down press ’Add Field’ then choose ‘Nickname’ add the whole name as nickname save and exit.

Should work fine
Thanks for the input.

I know about nickname and some other work-arounds, but I would rather not have to go this route, especially since it worked fine prior to iOS 13.

Are you using iOS 13? Can you try to replicate the problem?

I am wondering if it is just a glitch on my phone, or just one of the many bugs that iOS 13 came with.

Reactions: compwiz1202

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 23, 2014
I am wondering if it is just a glitch on my phone, or just one of the many bugs that iOS 13 came with.
Just an update to this, it appears that Hey Siri works with middle names again. I am not sure what SW update fixed it, but I would try using it periodically, and noticed that it started working again recently.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.