Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Squuiid

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 31, 2006
On HomePod

Me: “Hey Siri, set a timer for one hour and twenty-five minutes”

Siri: “Only one timer can be set at a time”

???

(No other timers are running btw. It “thinks” I’m asking it to set two timers, one for one hour and another for twenty-five minutes. Unreal.)

Anyone else getting this?
I have two of these damn things and very much starting to regret buying them. Had from launch and I was genuinely expecting Siri to get better over time. Nope.

inkahauts

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
Yeah you actually want to lose the and, you actually where asking for two separate timers. Dang Siri is paying attention to grammar....

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
I just said “set a timer for one hour and thirty five minutes” and it worked.

inkahauts

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
Using ‘and’ is actually correct grammar for the request. Skipping it is not.

One hour twenty minutes is proper grammar. While either may work, the and is superfluous at best.

Just like saying one hundred and twenty dollars is ok, but it’s not the best way to say it, the best way is one hundred twenty dollars.

Reactions: AllergyDoc

Squuiid

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 31, 2006
One hour twenty minutes is proper grammar. While either may work, the and is superfluous at best.

Just like saying one hundred and twenty dollars is ok, but it’s not the best way to say it, the best way is one hundred twenty dollars.
Maybe in the US, not in the UK.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.