Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaska121

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2015
Is this a new feature that devices w/o always-on Hey Siri are now listening for the command even if not plugged in when Siri is already evoked? Or does my iPad Air 2 have an interesting bug?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It depends on your device basically as more of the recent devices support it without being plugged in as I recall.

Chazzle

macrumors 68020
Jul 17, 2015
It depends on your device basically as more of the recent devices support it without being plugged in as I recall.
He has an iPad Air 2 as stated in the OP, which does not support always on Hey Siri. Definitely some sort of bug.

cruisin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2014
Canada
This launched with the new A9 chip on the iPhone 6S and iPad Pro but skipped the 2017 iPad. So it is likely a bug.

Maybe your home button is glitchy? You need extra hardware support for always listening Siri otherwise the battery drain will be noticeable.

Chazzle

macrumors 68020
Jul 17, 2015
This launched with the new A9 chip on the iPhone 6S and iPad Pro but skipped the 2017 iPad. So it is likely a bug.

Maybe your home button is glitchy? You need extra hardware support for always listening Siri otherwise the battery drain will be noticeable.
Should work on the 2017 iPad...

From Apple.com
“Hey Siri” is supported on iPhone SE, iPhone 6s or later, iPad Pro (except 12.9-inch, 1st generation), and iPad (5th generation) without being plugged into power. “Hey Siri” is supported on iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch with iOS 8 or later while plugged in. Not supported on first-generation iPad, iPad 2, and first-generation iPad mini.”

Reactions: BCCISProf

jaska121

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2015

My home button works as supposed so that can't be the reason.
The command isn't working when Siri isn't on the screen. Maybe it's listening so any follow-ups can be asked with Hey Siri… Intentional move?

Chazzle

macrumors 68020
Jul 17, 2015
The command isn't working when Siri isn't on the screen. Maybe it's listening so any follow-ups can be asked with Hey Siri… Intentional move?
Wait, so Hey Siri only works when Siri has already been invoked? Siri must already be listening because you already activated Siri with the home button.

Chazzle

macrumors 68020
Jul 17, 2015
I’ll have to wait until my wife gets home with her iPad Air 2 to test if the Hey Siri phrase reactivates Siri once it’s stopped listening, or if you are just saying Hey Siri when the device is already listening after invoking Siri with the home button.

jaska121

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2015
if you are just saying Hey Siri when the device is already listening after invoking Siri with the home button.

Nope, it has certainly finished listening. It works like this: I invoke Siri by pressing home button and ask about the weather. After it has told me the forecast, I can say 'Hey Siri, turn off the lights'.
[doublepost=1523299387][/doublepost]I tried this on my iP6+: Success!

Reactions: Chazzle

cruisin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2014
Canada
Should work on the 2017 iPad...

From Apple.com
“Hey Siri” is supported on iPhone SE, iPhone 6s or later, iPad Pro (except 12.9-inch, 1st generation), and iPad (5th generation) without being plugged into power. “Hey Siri” is supported on iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch with iOS 8 or later while plugged in. Not supported on first-generation iPad, iPad 2, and first-generation iPad mini.”
At launch the 2017 5th gen didn't include it. A recent update must have enabled it. https://appleinsider.com/articles/1...hey-siri-support-despite-inclusion-of-m9-chip

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
That is somewhat different than the typical use of "Hey Siri" when the device is basically in standby or you are doing something else and not already using Siri. What you are describing has been around since a while back when "Hey Siri" was introduced: https://lifehacker.com/use-hey-siri-without-being-plugged-into-a-power-sourc-1644311091

Chazzle

macrumors 68020
Jul 17, 2015
Nope, it has certainly finished listening. It works like this: I invoke Siri by pressing home button and ask about the weather. After it has told me the forecast, I can say 'Hey Siri, turn off the lights'.
[doublepost=1523299387][/doublepost]I tried this on my iP6+: Success!
Like @C DM posted, what you are experiencing is normal behavior.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.