Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
That Millenium Falcon case is the bomb. :)

I don't really understand the co-location services though... I have a hard time seeing why anyone would want to do that, vs. buying real server services...also it's sort of like a kennel for Mac Minis...*sob* I think I would miss my lil' guy something fierce! :(

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
I wonder when macminipaperweight will come out :D
That's my best design so far :eek: I saw this guy on techtv who happened to take 8 plasma displays (his work gave them to him for free) and a mac mini to make virtual windows in his house. Pretty awesome concept. Having guests around, hearing them say "woh... your neighbourhood is beautiful", when really you live in apartment up against a brick wall :p

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
epepper9 said:
I wonder when macminipaperweight will come out :D
That's my best design so far :eek: I saw this guy on techtv who happened to take 8 plasma displays (his work gave them to him for free) and a mac mini to make virtual windows in his house. Pretty awesome concept. Having guests around, hearing them say "woh... your neighbourhood is beautiful", when really you live in apartment up against a brick wall :p

It would be neat to mod that somehow with Sims 2. Make it feel like you're "in the game." Then again, your guests may start to think that you "have no life." ;)

TheMasin9

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2004
Huber Heights, OH
its okay

A neat addition to the website, but i think its a little bit late, granted the mini only came out less than a year ago, but that stuff has been out there for a while.

mdavey

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
mkrishnan said:
I don't really understand the co-location services

I always got the impression that this was something that was driven by the service providers rather than the customers. Compared to even the cheapest 1U and blade rackmounts, the Mac mini works out better on the triplet ratio of CPUs, cost and cubic feet.

Seasought

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2005
DavidLeblond said:
It would be neat to mod that somehow with Sims 2. Make it feel like you're "in the game." Then again, your guests may start to think that you "have no life." ;)

That would be cool.

Or you can have stars up, give that feeling of living on another planet.
:D

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
The big idea is you will probably void your warranty doing the mods, and seeing as to how Macs need warranty these days, less obligations for Apple! :D

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
mac mini's are cheaper and faster than mini ITX pc's so they have taken over their market, a G4 obliterates a VIA cpu.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Hector said:
mac mini's are cheaper and faster than mini ITX pc's so they have taken over their market, a G4 obliterates a VIA cpu.
Yeah, I'm REALLY hard pressed to build my own Mini-ITX to play with Linux when I can but a refurb Mac Mini for less and with more power.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
mdavey said:
I always got the impression that this was something that was driven by the service providers rather than the customers. Compared to even the cheapest 1U and blade rackmounts, the Mac mini works out better on the triplet ratio of CPUs, cost and cubic feet.

Really? Interesting. Thank you! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.