Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattv93

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2020
As the title states I'm looking for a monitor to connect my MacBook pro as I'm beginning day trading stocks, and want a more of a desktop feel for productivity purposes. What's a decent monitor within the 25-30 inch range I can get for an affordable price? No more than $300 dollars.

Also, what external drives or cables do I need to purchase to get the monitor to be compatible with my Mac? I have a MacBook Pro Late 2012 Retina Model if that helps. I heard I need something called Thunderbolt in order for my resolution to be compatible and avoid lag. Is this true? Any advice helps thanks!

mattv93

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2020
I'd suggest a 32" display with native 1440p (2550x1440) resolution.
Check this list (not all-inclusive):
IPS Monitor List: Best AHVA, PLS & IPS LCD Displays

This one has a "minidisplayport" type output, is that right?
Then, for a cable, I'd suggest a minidisplayport (MacBook end) to displayport (display end).

Hey Fishrrman,

So I just learned my Macbook Model does not have a minidisplayport. It has HDMI and 2 thunderbolt outlets. Those look great I will definitely browse around and find something compatible. Thanks for the response!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"I just learned my Macbook Model does not have a minidisplayport. It has HDMI and 2 thunderbolt outlets. Those look great I will definitely browse around and find something compatible. Thanks for the response!"

No.
The "thunderbolt ports" ARE also "minidisplayports", insofar as hooking up a display is concerned. Same port, DIFFERENT functions, DIFFERENT cable names.

The cable I mentioned above IS "the one you need".

mattv93

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2020
"I just learned my Macbook Model does not have a minidisplayport. It has HDMI and 2 thunderbolt outlets. Those look great I will definitely browse around and find something compatible. Thanks for the response!"

No.
The "thunderbolt ports" ARE also "minidisplayports", insofar as hooking up a display is concerned. Same port, DIFFERENT functions, DIFFERENT cable names.

The cable I mentioned above IS "the one you need".

Thanks for the info. To be clear, minidisplayports / thunderbolt ports are the same, but the cables play a role in compatibility depending on the monitor I decide on purchasing. The cable I need for a 3rd party monitor would require a displayport (display end), VS. thunderbolt cable which is more suitable for a Mac Monitor such as the Apple Thunderbolt Display, is that correct? I'm weighing out my options and looking into used Apple monitors as well. :)

jafico1

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2018
Maine
I’d recommend the Dell U2518D — it’s an excellent display for the money, with 2560x1440 resolution at 25 inches, and it‘s IPS meaning it’s the same tech Apple uses for its displays. I paid around $250 for mine. It comes with an HDMI cable so you’d be all set!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.