Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chelseafallon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2023
Hello Mac friends,

I am not an expert by ANY means, so I apologize in advance for how uneducated this will sound. I'm just a person with suspicions of being hacked looking for help...(by someone who I lived with and had access and personal details enough to do so). I am not looking for solutions to get rid of it (yet), my intention is to find it, pin point it, and catch it if it's there.

1. Is it possible for my entire OS to be cloned/duplicated/mirrored/split (whatever the proper term would be) and be HIDDEN? If so, is it possible to find evidence of that somewhere on my system?

2. Is it possible for a device to be hidden that is logged into my iCloud/iTunes/Apple ID?

3. Is it possible for someone to be hiding within one an app, file, bluetooth, etc, on one of my apple devices - and in doing so, gain access to my iCloud/iTunes/andor Apple ID?

I'm trying to determine what possibilities exist in the world of hacking and network security that could explain how iCloud data shows an IP address currently logged in associated with Verizon. I know this log in is not me. My devices are all accounted for. iCloud has no alerts on new devices etc.

Does anything else exist out there that come to mind for you? I appreciate any suggestions or ideas. Thank you thank you.

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Pretty hard to hide from Apple since hardware/software are tied to your AppleID so I wouldn’t be concerned with that necessarily.

As far as cloning an OS, that’s a thing and you could see it in disk utility, if you know what to look for, but there would be zero reason to clone something then keep it on the same device.

You would have to elaborate on iCloud data showing a Verizon IP as there are a number of possibilities. If you’re not educated on this yourself and the person you lived with presumably isn’t either then I wouldn’t get too worked up. Change WiFi passwords, AppleID password, etc will be plenty good enough for starters.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.