Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andre76

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2019
I had to downgrade back to Catalina from Big Sur. I formatted my HD and installed Catalina from a bootable flash drive. After installation I only had about 20 GB of free space on my HD, more than 200 GB was taken up as hidden 'other' files. I tried formatting the HD again and installing Catalina again, same problem, only now I only have 9 GB left...I have tried all the usual ways to find/delete these hidden files to no avail, including scripts in Terminal, various disk sweeping apps, etc.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-15 at 17.56.12.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-15 at 17.56.12.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 116

dsemf

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2014
I had to downgrade back to Catalina from Big Sur. I formatted my HD and installed Catalina from a bootable flash drive. After installation I only had about 20 GB of free space on my HD, more than 200 GB was taken up as hidden 'other' files. I tried formatting the HD again and installing Catalina again, same problem, only now I only have 9 GB left...I have tried all the usual ways to find/delete these hidden files to no avail, including scripts in Terminal, various disk sweeping apps, etc.
It sounds like you formatted a volume and not the disk drive. Set the View option in the upper left corner to Show All Devices.

DS

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.