Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
Firstly, the video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/uusobmd9u1ao0a2/HiddenKeyboardGlitch.mov

I was messing around the iOS 9.3 SpringBoard on my iPad Pro and found that a specific sequence of actions would cause this keyboard to appear.

Its design is very different compared to the regular iOS 7/8/9 keyboard. I've noticed it's much more minimalistic and transparent.

For those saying it's a custom keyboard I've installed, notice how this keyboard hovers over the UI, and when a text input is tapped the regular iOS keyboard pops up.

What do you guys think? Do you prefer this keyboard over the current one?

Last edited:

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
How did you get it to appear?

Also it looks like the passcode screen complex passcode keyboard. I do like that it's more transparent. It's sort of a wasted effect at the moment, it's transparent still but not enough for you to notice it, yet it effects performance badly. If you're going to have a taxing effect like that, Apple, at least make it noticeable...

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
What device is that on?

Would that essentially be the iPad Pro keyboard that is used for alphanumeric passcode entry from the lock screen?

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
Here's how it appears on an iPhone 6s Plus:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/whrbqnkytajw1hj/HiddenKeyboardGlitch.jpeg

EDIT:
For comparison's sake...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/16ipjguby3lxvp2/iOS9KeyboardDark.jpeg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bm8qpcejr4fquhi/iOS9KeyboardLight.jpeg
[doublepost=1461972777][/doublepost]
What device is that on?
It's on a 12.9' iPad Pro.
[doublepost=1461972940][/doublepost]
How did you get it to appear?

Also it looks like the passcode screen complex passcode keyboard. I do like that it's more transparent. It's sort of a wasted effect at the moment, it's transparent still but not enough for you to notice it, yet it effects performance badly. If you're going to have a taxing effect like that, Apple, at least make it noticeable...
I did notice the similarity with the complex passcode keyboard. Personally I really like it. The current keyboard is completely opaque, no transparency whatsoever!

Since I've only tried it out on a 12.9' iPad Pro, and an iPhone 6s Plus, there's no visible performance impact at all. It looks really good.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Hmm... Thing is, the way I got the keyboard to appear has nothing to do with this, I don't even have a complex passcode!
Right, you got it through some glitch, but what I was basically saying it's an existing keyboard that is used for alphanumeric passcode entry.

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
Right, you got it through some glitch, but what I was basically saying it's an existing keyboard that is used for alphanumeric passcode entry.
I know what you meant. Notice how the bottom right key says 'return' rather than 'cancel'. If this were the complex password keyboard, it shouldn't show the 'return' key.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Notice how the bottom right key says 'return' rather than 'cancel'. If this were the complex password keyboard, it shouldn't show the 'return' key.
Well, a keyboard can display different keys depending on where it is being used. So basically it's an existing keyboard that so far has only (or at least mainly) been in use for alphanumeric password entry. It's hard to say whether or not it would be used anywhere else, and so far it doesn't really seem like anything is pointing to that being more likely than before really.

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
Well, a keyboard can display different keys depending on where it is being used. So basically it's an existing keyboard that so far has only (or at least mainly) been in use for alphanumeric password entry. It's hard to say whether or not it would be used anywhere else, and so far it doesn't really seem like anything is pointing to that being more likely than before really.
Yes, but if this were a keyboard designed for the sole use of alphanumeric passcode entry, it wouldn't be designed with all the other keys including the return key, symbols etc.

Of course it's impossible to say whether or not it would actually be used, but if it's in the code and it's fully designed with ALL keys (not just A-Z), it must be done for a reason.

Either way, it's a very well designed keyboard and it's already in the code.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yes, but if this were a keyboard designed for the sole use of alphanumeric passcode entry, it wouldn't be designed with all the other keys including the return key, symbols etc.

Of course it's hard to say whether or not it would actually be used, but if it's in the code and it's fully designed with ALL keys (not just A-Z), it must be done for a reason.
If the normal iPad Pro keyboard contains symbols and all that, then I would assume that the alphanumeric passcode keyboard would basically be of same design as far as general keys (not counting action keys which can differ based on the context basically), just with a different "hollow" visual design.

As far as I understand all these keyboards that are used in different places are there as basically generic keyboards, but they are only used in some places. Kind of like the whole thing with the dark keyboard that is only used in some places normally but became a general option in iOS 7.1 betas and then was removed as a general option before release, even though it's still there in use on some screens: http://www.cultofmac.com/254839/all-the-changes-in-ios-7-1-beta-youll-actually-notice/

Last edited:
Reactions: hojx

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
Here's how it appears on an iPhone 6s Plus:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/whrbqnkytajw1hj/HiddenKeyboardGlitch.jpeg

EDIT:
For comparison's sake...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/16ipjguby3lxvp2/iOS9KeyboardDark.jpeg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bm8qpcejr4fquhi/iOS9KeyboardLight.jpeg
[doublepost=1461972777][/doublepost]
It's on a 12.9' iPad Pro.
[doublepost=1461972940][/doublepost]
I did notice the similarity with the complex passcode keyboard. Personally I really like it. The current keyboard is completely opaque, no transparency whatsoever!

Since I've only tried it out on a 12.9' iPad Pro, and an iPhone 6s Plus, there's no visible performance impact at all. It looks really good.
Well my iPad mini 2 has always been just awful with the transparent keyboard, if you rotate the device with the keyboard onscreen it's a janky jerky mess. Keyboard stutter when it's popping up is not uncommon at all. And also the regular keyboard does have transparency, it's just a lot less transparent. Try spotlight with different wallpapers, it will be a slightly different color, or sending a message, that blue or green swoosh that goes up the keyboard is the message coming up behind it. It's translucent. Sorta. Enough to impact performance on older devices, but not enough to hardly notice anything.
I know what you meant. Notice how the bottom right key says 'return' rather than 'cancel'. If this were the complex password keyboard, it shouldn't show the 'return' key.

Of course it's impossible to say whether or not it would actually be used, but if it's in the code and it's fully designed with ALL keys (not just A-Z), it must be done for a reason.

Either way, it's a very well designed keyboard and it's already in the code.

The keyboard isn't that specific. It's just a "theme" for it, and it has a dynamic layout that can adjust for different use cases I'm assuming.

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
Well, which keyboard do you guys prefer? The regular keyboard or this more translucent one?

ashindnile

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2015
I hate to be bursting everyone's bubble but this is a bug. For those of you with pre iOS 9.3, try using quick reply from the lockscreen, and when you're there, click on the banner. You'll see this pop up.
This is just the underlying keyboard frame I guess. But it wasn't an intended design.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I hate to be bursting everyone's bubble but this is a bug. For those of you with pre iOS 9.3, try using quick reply from the lockscreen, and when you're there, click on the banner. You'll see this pop up.
This is just the underlying keyboard frame I guess. But it wasn't an intended design.
It's a bug/glitch as far as being able to get the keyboard to come up somewhere random essentially, but the keyboard itself isn't a bug or anything like that as it's basically the one that is used for alphanumeric passcode entry.

Reactions: qap and dmnc

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
It is an intended design, just not intended for showing up where you are getting it to. It's the passcode entry keyboard when you have an alphanumeric passcode. I think when you mess with quick reply it gets confused because it's on the lock screen, it thinks it's prompting a passcode entry keyboard and not a regular keyboard because of quick reply.

ashindnile

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2015
It is an intended design, just not intended for showing up where you are getting it to. It's the passcode entry keyboard when you have an alphanumeric passcode. I think when you mess with quick reply it gets confused because it's on the lock screen, it thinks it's prompting a passcode entry keyboard and not a regular keyboard because of quick reply.
It's an intended layout. Not a design. It's meant to be a backbone I guess, upon which the actual keyboard UI exists. Case in point try hitting the shift key in dark mode, and you'll see it flicker or flash. It's a bug that's yet to be addressed.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's an intended layout. Not a design. It's meant to be a backbone I guess, upon which the actual keyboard UI exists. Case in point try hitting the shift key in dark mode, and you'll see it flicker or flash. It's a bug that's yet to be addressed.
It's the keyboard that is used when entering an alphanumeric passcode from the lock screen.

qap

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2011
Italy
Yes its a bug, sometimes (few times fortunately) I saw it me too :D

IMG_9164.PNG

ThunderMasterMind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2016
Ok... That keyboard has existed since iOS 7, it's not supposed to be anywhere else other than the lock screen, and it's a gigantic performance hog just like most of iOS 9 is. It's nothing new so, you can clam down the hype a little...

Oh, and I don't like it. The standard black one looks better in my opinion.

ashindnile

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2015
The keyboard coming up where it shouldn't, is a bug/glitch. The keyboard itself isn't a bug as it is used in some places.
It isn't used anywhere.. The dark keyboard is supposed to have bg blur, which isn't very obvious in light backgrounds. You're confusing the two.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.