Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TETENAL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 29, 2014
Please let me hide Hollywood gossip from the MacRumors front page. I'm not interested.

This used to be a tech site, but now it's full of articles about which actors are hired next for stupid TV shows or whatever.

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
Good luck with that, you used to be able to hide individual forums. With the update that disappeared, only one I have seen get the old treatment is the garbage politics forum. You can opt out of that one now perhaps if you can get enough complaints about this issue they will get rid of that junk as well. Personally I would love to have the old system and get rid of all the forums I could care less about.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Ha, I must be using this site wrong. I don't even really see forum titles that I'm not looking for or that don't call out to me. Maybe I'd have liked to squash the options down back in the days of dialup modems and charges for connect time. Not any more. Why spend time arranging to hide stuff that doesn't even grab my attention when I'm scrolling past it.

brilliantthings

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2011
I completely agree. The news about TV shows and movies is going to turn me away from Mac Rumors. I'd love to be able to hide it or even better if it were all contained on another page.

TETENAL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 29, 2014
I'm not talking about the forum. I don't even know where this kind of discussion goes to in the forum.

I'm talking about the front page of MacRumors.com. It looks like a celebrity gossip magazine right now. That stuff is drowning the tech news, and I fear it's going to get worse over time now that Apple believes it's a Hollywood studio.

That kind of articles I want to hide, because I will not be interested in it.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Ha, I must be using this site wrong. I don't even really see forum titles that I'm not looking for or that don't call out to me. Maybe I'd have liked to squash the options down back in the days of dialup modems and charges for connect time. Not any more. Why spend time arranging to hide stuff that doesn't even grab my attention when I'm scrolling past it.

Well said.

My aged (ageing?) and bespectacled yet sadly imperfect eyes have little trouble glazing over and gliding past (and filtering out) stuff that has never really grabbed my attention.

Background noise, and irrelevant pixels.

But, hardly worth the energy of a war dance, methinks.

Last edited:
Reactions: revmacian

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I'm not talking about the forum. I don't even know where this kind of discussion goes to in the forum.

I'm talking about the front page of MacRumors.com. It looks like a celebrity gossip magazine right now. That stuff is drowning the tech news, and I fear it's going to get worse over time now that Apple believes it's a Hollywood studio.

That kind of articles I want to hide, because I will not be interested in it.

Well I think that's mostly because of the pre-launch period of Apple TV+, same as pre-launch of new iPhones or an OS/iOS.... and of course the fact that Apple is more about services than it used to be.

Personally I visit the front page at will during the day sometime but it's not my brower bookmark for the site. That's pegged to the Forums. Twitter sometimes sends me to the front page though, since I do follow MR on that platform.

I think there used to be a format on the MR front page where you had to click on on headline/preview area for the piece to expand or hit into its own page link. And iirc some people here wanted to be able to read the whole thing pre-expanded on page one.

Beauty in eye of beholder. Eternal dilemma of website owner/designer honchos.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Good luck with that, you used to be able to hide individual forums. With the update that disappeared, only one I have seen get the old treatment is the garbage politics forum. You can opt out of that one now perhaps if you can get enough complaints about this issue they will get rid of that junk as well. Personally I would love to have the old system and get rid of all the forums I could care less about.
You can ignore individual forums again

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Please let me hide Hollywood gossip from the MacRumors front page. I'm not interested.

This used to be a tech site, but now it's full of articles about which actors are hired next for stupid TV shows or whatever.
Well, Apple is evolving or at least changing as a company, as it has before as well, so the news more or less follows (or leads) accordingly as well.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

niv007

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2019
It would be ideal if we could ignore certain tags, ignoring forums isn't enough if we still want to see the front page articles.

I agree with the sentiment, it's starting to feel like I'm opening a tabloid instead of a tech insider site.

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
You can ignore individual forums again

I am failing to see how it is done. If done where it says manage in this page it is useless in all three browsers I try it with, Safari, Firefox and Chrome. It gives single option to apply to all pages listed it the popup, nothing individual is listed. Unlike before where you had list of all them to pick and choose from.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I am failing to see how it is done. If done where it says manage in this page it is useless in all three browsers I try it with, Safari, Firefox and Chrome. It gives single option to apply to all pages listed it the popup, nothing individual is listed. Unlike before where you had list of all them to pick and choose from.

go to the forum and click “ignore”

3035012F-CDD5-4EE6-8615-E796535743FC.jpeg

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Just tried it. Works fab, Arnold. I must have been doing something wrong on the older version of Xen we were running until last month. I don't quite recall the old vB days. I just went ahead and ignored a few areas of the forum I rarely wander into or whole heatedly want to ignore until 2021.

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
go to the forum and click “ignore”

View attachment 871802
And so it does now I just need to eliminate the ones I do not want one at a time. I am thinking I may have noticed that sooner if I actually used the site that way. Go to an individual forum at a time, but I always use the new posts option, there it only shows you the ignore thread options. Thanks for the information.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I do understand the OP’s point. There’s already an iOS blog and a Mac blog.

Why not make a Hollywood blog or something of the sort to separate all of the AppleTV news regarding deals with producers, actors, etc. from actual tech issues/interests.

mrmcgoo

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2010

I agree. It's been bugging me since the launch of the Apple Watch that there were so many articles about new watch bands and now so many articles about actors and producers. I realize MacRumors is about anything Apple related but I would guess the primary audience is mainly interested in the technology.

It has been irritating enough that I've sought out alternative sites now that maintain focus on the hardware and software news. That's a shame because I have been an avid reader of MacRumors for 12 years.

Reactions: TETENAL
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.