Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
On an iMac with 2 drives (HD and SSD) and two OS's on each drive, i want to know if it is possible to hide the applications that are used in each OS?
The iMac, can boot in either the HD or the SSD (ElCapitan and Yosemite) but i dont want each user to know what applications are installed and used by the other OS that is installed on the other drive... is this possible?

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
You could setup another account with parental controls to control what is available for use as far as apps, but you would still be able to see the apps are there in the Applications folder.

Reactions: zoran

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Is it possible, when having dual boot, to disallow the appearance of the other drive, thats used for booting?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Is it possible, when having dual boot, to disallow the appearance of the other drive, thats used for booting?
I can't think of a good way to do that. You might be able to enable FileVault on both drives, but I have never tested that in a dual boot setup.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Whats the feature that FileVault has, that will allow it to do this?

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
So with FileVault data is encrypted but also a selected drive cannot be seen at all?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
So with FileVault data is encrypted but also a selected drive cannot be seen at all?

You can see the second, encrypted drive in Disk Utility, but without entering the password, nobody can see any data or apps on it.

For example, the Other volume here is encrypted but not mounted. I can right click and mount it then enter password to access it.

Screen Shot 2019-02-21 at 9.07.13 AM.png

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
1. The encrypted drive can only be seen in Disk Utility, nowhere else?
2. Your thoughts with filevault are what happens when a possible encrypted drive is a bootable one. And maybe when trying to boot its invisible... is that what ur worried about?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
1. As long as it is unmounted, you will only see it in Disk Util.

2. When you turn on FV, it reconfigures the boot process so that you actually boot to a small recovery volume on the drive. Then it prompts you for the password to unlock the drive. I just have not tested if that process will work with two boot drives switching back and forth.

Reactions: zoran
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.