Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you hide or show the menu bar in El Capitan?

• Show the menu bar

Votes: 22 64.7%
  • Hide the menu bar

Votes: 11 32.4%
  • Didn't even know you could hide it...

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters

kyemaloy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Does anyone like this feature? The menu bar has been a core OS X feature for years, but I do enjoy hiding it as it gives me slightly more room on my 13" rMBP. Does anyone else like to hide the bar or do people tend to leave it showing all the time?

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
I knew about it, but I didn't want to try it until now. I'll see how I like it. I'm still stuck in the old way of keeping my dock on the screen, but I have hidden it now too.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I still don't really know why anyone would hide the menu bar. If you want true full-screen viewing, there is a mode for that. I thought the point of NOT using full-screen mode was so that you could have access to the menu bar which is a pivotal part of the OS X app UI. You don't get that much space from hiding it.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
I still don't really know why anyone would hide the menu bar. If you want true full-screen viewing, there is a mode for that. I thought the point of NOT using full-screen mode was so that you could have access to the menu bar which is a pivotal part of the OS X app UI. You don't get that much space from hiding it.

Well, it makes sense I think because it allows me to have multiple windows open without the menu bar getting in the way and is different then split screen multitasking. Works great if I want a big app like Safari, but something small like Messages.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Well, it makes sense I think because it allows me to have multiple windows open without the menu bar getting in the way and is different then split screen multitasking. Works great if I want a big app like Safari, but something small like Messages.
I just swipe back and forth between a fullscreen Safari and smaller windows on the desktop with menu bar and dock. Works great on my rMBP.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007

The problem is that Full Screen Mode changes a lot of the UI behaviors that it makes it worse than just hiding the menu bar. Full screen puts it on a separate desktop, not just hiding the menu bar and dock.

For an example, menu bar apps with their own UI that hovers on top of windows, they break easily on full screen mode. Saw this happened in the past with 1Password, Paste, and etc.

For smaller screens like Macbook Air, hiding the menu bar does help.

Reactions: Traverse

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
Tried it for a day. Couldn't stand it. Idk maybe I'm just stuck in my ways but I constantly glance at the menu bar for information on both my Macs and I couldn't get used to it not being there.

Reactions: KALLT

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I'm so used to seeing it after all these years, I'm not sure if I want to hide it. I have a lot of stuff in it that I like to be able to see at a glance.

hojx

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2014
Singapore
I'm quite a purist and I refuse to hide the menu bar and dock on my desktop. I keep the menu bar icons, dock, and Launchpad (which I never use) as vanilla as possible.

Also, unless in full-screen mode, I like having my window 'framed' by the top menu bar and the bottom dock. The Safari window I am on right now as I type also does not touch the edges of the screen; instead I leave proportionate margins around the window.

One of the many weird OCD stuffs I have when it comes to technology.

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
It's a great feature, even if it's only a relatively small one that not everyone cares about.

I like it. But then again, I embrace change and love variety.

CaffeinatedNoms

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2014
Northeast England
The menu bar has been a core OS X feature for years (...)

Try since the Lisa Operating System in 1983. The Menubar has always been there. ALWAYS. Although as a side-note you could, if you were an Apple developer, dual-boot the Lisa into the Development OS which didn't have a Menubar... nor did it have any GUI though so that's technically cheating anyway.

I don't think I'll hide the Menubar, much like I don't hide the Dock; the obvious exceptions being when I run apps fullscreen, but then the Menubar and Dock hide themselves anyway so it's a moot point :D

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Feels really odd when it’s not there. I think what gets to me the most is the lack of a visual balance when you have the Dock as well. I’ll let it settle for a few days. Ultimately, I like the idea of it. You don’t always need the menu bar depending on what you are doing and most of my status icons are for quick toggles. It’s just one area less that can distract you without providing useful information. I don’t need to check the clock all the time, for instance, but when it’s shown to me, I am inclined to glance at it even more.

reverend t

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2015
I've been using menuanddockless to achieve this for years and finally the feature is native. So much better for distraction free working and cleaner desktop/wallpaper aesthetics.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.