Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
There are two drives on a mid 2010 27" iMac. One HDD that was built in originally, and one SSD that was installed after. There are 2 OS's on the Imac, SnowL on the HDD and Yosemite on the SSD. When i boot -by pressing the option key- i get to choose either one OS or the other. All that is pretty simple and standard... the questions is if its possible when booting and selecting the HDD, to not be able to see the SSD. In other words to keep the SSD hidden when im using SnowL?
The question stands if this can be done with using other OS's too, and not only the two im using at the moment or not specifically the mid 2010 iMac too.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Does FVault encryption make the drive disappear or just disallow the contents to be seen?
What i really want is to not be able to see the presence of the SSD when booting the iMac from the HDD ;-)

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
Does FVault encryption make the drive disappear or just disallow the contents to be seen?
What i really want is to not be able to see the presence of the SSD when booting the iMac from the HDD ;-)
It will likely appear as a device, but require a password. But as I wrote, I have never tried it.

You could do a dismount on log-on, so it would not show in Finder. But it would still appear in disk utility, where it can be mounted.

Maybe there is something of use here: https://www.macworld.com/article/2030765/os-x/8-ways-to-hide-files-and-folders-in-os-x.html

Else I am afraid you must hack on a system-level or use a hardware switch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.