Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lapsaj

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 17, 2021
Hello everyone,

I have a 7+ and the battery needs changing.

I usually order from amazon. I have noticed that a good 95% of replacement batteries are advertised as high capacity batteries, such as 3500 mah, 4500, 5000 etc.

Is this just a gimmick to sell batteries. Will the 7+ handle it?

I am trying to source a good quality 2900 mAh battery. Only place which has them is ifixit.

I also need to source a charging port assembly.

Anyway

Thank you for reading.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
I don't think its a gimmick. I replaced the battery on my very old Galaxy S3 (which is 2100 mh stock), with one on Amazon which was 2500 mh and it works as intended with considerably more battery time. Was easy to change as you just take the plastic back off and swap the battery.

I am considering replacing the battery on my 12 mini with a 2800 mh one on Amazon, but I dont have a lot of confidence to do it myself though.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
They're all gimmicks. A few YouTube videos show the actual capacity of those "high cap" batteries are all fake. Anybody can program the BMS to show a high capacity reading, but actual drain tests show they're no better or often worse than the original.

In order to get higher capacity, you need to alter the chemistry slightly. This affects the cell voltage so it won't be compatible anymore.

Apple recently updated the battery chemistry on iPhone SE (2022). They advertised this at launch in the press release and you can see the cell voltage is higher on teardowns.

primarycolors

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2015
CA
Amazon is fine for many things but phone batteries is sadly not one of them 😅

There are a couple instances higher capacity batteries used to be possible (such as the iPhone 3G) but the current high capacity batteries are almost always bunk.
In my experience the vast majority of batteries on the market (especially from Amazon) are actually used batteries harvested from junk devices with a fancy new sticker on them.

Go with an actual reputable phone parts shop like iFixit and InjuredGadgets.

Reactions: Lapsaj

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2022
People who sell these batteries can say what ever they want. Until we come up with a different battery chemistry they can not cramp more power in the same size battery. Apple is putting the largest battery they can in your phone so do not expect better results.

Reactions: Lapsaj

Lapsaj

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 17, 2021
Amazon is fine for many things but phone batteries is sadly not one of them 😅

There are a couple instances higher capacity batteries used to be possible (such as the iPhone 3G) but the current high capacity batteries are almost always bunk.
In my experience the vast majority of batteries on the market (especially from Amazon) are actually used batteries harvested from junk devices with a fancy new sticker on them.

Go with an actual reputable phone parts shop like iFixit and InjuredGadgets.
I will order from iFixit. The other company’s shipping to the UK is quite a lot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.