Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikegoldnj

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
I've never had any issues with beta o/s installs before but, getting constant system crashes/panics with High Sierra.

Anyone else?

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
I loaded HS via upgrade onto a 2010 MacBook Air with 2GB of RAM and I had the same thing. I then wiped the hard drive clean and re-loaded HS as a clean install and it’s much better. Still a lot of lag opening apps but the crashes are down to once very couple of hours versus every 5 minutes.

mikegoldnj

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
I loaded HS via upgrade onto a 2010 MacBook Air with 2GB of RAM and I had the same thing. I then wiped the hard drive clean and re-loaded HS as a clean install and it’s much better. Still a lot of lag opening apps but the crashes are down to once very couple of hours versus every 5 minutes.

I ended up reformatting and rolling back to Sierra. I’ll give it another shot after a couple more beta versions.

K4LK

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
I've never had any issues with beta o/s installs before but, getting constant system crashes/panics with High Sierra.

Anyone else?

No. Sorry. My 11" mid-2011 Air is running High Sierra beta 1 okay.

dogslobber

macrumors 601
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA
I ended up reformatting and rolling back to Sierra. I’ll give it another shot after a couple more beta versions.

The early betas contain lots of debug and are not optimized builds so that the bugs can be shaken out. Don't forget why these are called /Developer Builds/, which is to allow developers to make sure their software is compatible. It's generally not for non-developers thinking it can be their new computer OS from day one.

Reactions: joedec

weezin

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2012
Bumping an old thread...

I just update to High Sierra on my mid-2011 Macbook Air base (4 gb of ram) and it seems to be running like crap. Apps take longer to load, transitions aren't as smooth, webpages seem to load much slower, etc. Noticeable worse than Sierra that I had before it.

I'm wondering if I can downgrade at this point, or if I'll have to ride it out and hope that subsequent updates will make it better. For now, I'm a bit disappointed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.