Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The_Nautilus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2016
Anyone using server on their High Sierra beta? I've been contemplating purchasing it but I'm wary of doing so in case they release a newer version that only runs on High Sierra. I don't want to pay twice for server in one year.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Anyone using server on their High Sierra beta? I've been contemplating purchasing it but I'm wary of doing so in case they release a newer version that only runs on High Sierra. I don't want to pay twice for server in one year.
I wouldn't assume that Server 5.3 works on High Sierra. The developer site has a beta.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
The last couple of releases for new OS compatibility have been free updates for existing users. For example, I purchased OS X Server for El Capitan about a week before Sierra came out, and was able to update to Sierra-compatible MacOS Server for free.

Granted, that hasn't always been the case (Mavericks-compatible Server to Yosemite-compatible Server was a paid update). But, considering Sierra to High Sierra is an incremental update, I'd expect Apple will offer it free again.

Edit: It looks like the new beta of MacOS Server is version 5.4 (not 6.0), so that means it's very likely to be a free incremental update when High Sierra is released.

Reactions: The_Nautilus

The_Nautilus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2016
The last couple of releases for new OS compatibility have been free updates for existing users. For example, I purchased OS X Server for El Capitan about a week before Sierra came out, and was able to update to Sierra-compatible MacOS Server for free.

Granted, that hasn't always been the case (Mavericks-compatible Server to Yosemite-compatible Server was a paid update). But, considering Sierra to High Sierra is an incremental update, I'd expect Apple will offer it free again.

Edit: It looks like the new beta of MacOS Server is version 5.4 (not 6.0), so that means it's very likely to be a free incremental update when High Sierra is released.

Thanks for your input. I'll pull the trigger on the purchase.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Apple has done this before with betas and then changed the version number at release time. In any case, it's not as if Server is particularly expensive.
[doublepost=1497463112][/doublepost]
Thanks for your input. I'll pull the trigger on the purchase.
If you need server functionality you're going to be much better off staying with 10.12.5.

jzngdt

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2017
[doublepost=1505573200][/doublepost]I'm in the same boat, but I already took the dive on Server a few months ago.
macOS 5.3.1 doesn't work with the latest High Sierra 10.13 Beta (17A362a). This is the pre-release of High Sierra, so I'm guessing if it doesn't work here and High Sierra is due out in a week or two....
Maybe Apple will be kind and give us an upgrade.
I had no issues with Server until this very last beta. There's a beta 5.4, but I can't get my hands on it. :~(

Phantom-fa

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2017
Adelaide SA
When installing, it says that Server 5.4 is required, but 5.4 is not yet available, so don't upgrade if you need to run Server, until 5.4 appears on App Store.

MatthewAMEL

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2007
Orlando, FL
WTF happened to the Server app? I just 'updated' to 5.4 and 'Caching', 'File Sharing', 'Time Machine' are all gone from the list of services in the new Server app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.