Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

John R.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2020
i noticed a while ago, that macOS used to have animations when toggling checkboxes, radio buttons, opening menus, etc. these animations are gone from mojave and later, so i was wondering if i could bring them back. i got a yosemite VM running on my mac and grabbed the systemappearance.car file (responsible for theming macOS) and examined it. yes, the animations were present! then, (DON'T DO THIS WITHOUT A BACKUP AND PROPER KNOWLEDGE!!!) copied the file to catalina. seemed to work fine with one problem. the animations still weren't present. i double checked, and sure enough, the file had animations, just not my computer. i am pointing it to the part of "reduce motion" that disables this, and it's being isolated from normal reduce motion, always on no matter what. i have a few questions that may help:

was there a "defaults write" param that disabled animations in the versions that did have it enabled?
would i have to manually implement it?
how does it handle displaying the previously animated features now?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.