Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patearrings

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2009
Hi guys,

Will high sierra run with apfs on an imac with ONLY an SSD in it. My wife's imac had a DIY fusion drive but the mechanical HDD has long since stopped working so it now runs on just its SSD in the optical drive bay.

Will I be able to install High Sierra on this if its not a fusion drive and simply a standalone SSD?

Many thanks. :)

Auggie

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2017
FWIW, APFS was an option for my 2012 MBP 13" which has an Eluktro Pro 1TB SSD, but not an option for my 2012 MP 2x2.4 which has a Samsung EVO 850 2TB (plugged into the SATA port of the second optical bay) along with four other SATA hard drives.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I may give HS a try when the public beta comes out, but have some questions:

Is it mandatory to set things up with Apple File System?
Or can one choose to "stay behind" with HFS+?

I'm wondering how long it will be before we're FORCED to "move up" to APFS, whether we wish to or not?

I have older drives and older Macs I'd like to keep using into the future.
I'm wondering if the time is coming when we'll get "cut off" from accessing them?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I may give HS a try when the public beta comes out, but have some questions:

Is it mandatory to set things up with Apple File System?
Or can one choose to "stay behind" with HFS+?

I'm wondering how long it will be before we're FORCED to "move up" to APFS, whether we wish to or not?

I have older drives and older Macs I'd like to keep using into the future.
I'm wondering if the time is coming when we'll get "cut off" from accessing them?

There is an APFS check box option when installing High Sierra, it's on by default.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.