Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wunderhund

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2017
Puerto Rico
I am hoping someone in the forum has experience of when Apple coordinates the pre-installation of a new OS with iMacs purchased through Apple's Store online. That is, when will iMacs configured through the online store come with High Sierra pre-installed? The day of the OS release? A couple days before? Weeks after?

I realize updating to High Sierra won't be difficult, but I'm looking to purchase an iMac by the 25th (an education promotion with free $300 wireless Beats headphones ends that day) and it would be one less thing to do if it was already installed -- and perhaps it would have the Fusion drive formatted to APFS out of the box.

Cheers.

Last edited:

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Welcome to the MacRumors Forums!

It will probably depend on the remaining configuration stock at a particular store. They are not going to open, unpack, and set up unsold stock in order to install the software update, then attempt to repack and reseal each unit so that it looks new to the buyer. You may be able to talk the store into opening one you have purchased while you are there and do the upgrade for you ... but it is usually very simple to do yourself.

New stock arriving will have the new software installed at the time of production, but the availability would be pretty much unknown.

Reactions: wunderhund

wunderhund

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2017
Puerto Rico
Thanks -- I have edited the OP to reflect that I meant ordering the iMac online via apple.com. Curious to know if anyone had ordered an iMac online, say on the day Yosemite was released, did the computer arrive with the newly released OS?

Last edited:

Buerkletucson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Minnesota
I would guess...

The stock configuration builds will take a bit to deplete current stock, even when ordering directly from Apple.
Any custom configuration other than stock will probably start shipping out with the new OS shortly after the release date.

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
Thanks -- I have edited the OP to reflect that I meant ordering the iMac online via apple.com. Curious to know if anyone had ordered an iMac online, say on the day Yosemite was released, did the computer arrive with the newly released OS?
Either way, you might want to wait. Intel is expected to launch the 8700k in early October. That way you get the latest cannonlake and macOS.

Of course, Apple is moving slow with the Mac so who knows how long till we'll see Cannon Lake. Also, you can always wait till the next best thing and never end up buying anything. Only you can determine how long you want to wait :)

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I am hoping someone in the forum has experience of when Apple coordinates the pre-installation of a new OS with iMacs purchased through Apple's Store online. That is, when will iMacs configured through the online store come with High Sierra pre-installed? The day of the OS release? A couple days before? Weeks after?

I realize updating to High Sierra won't be difficult, but I'm looking to purchase an iMac by the 25th (an education promotion with free $300 wireless Beats headphones ends that day) and it would be one less thing to do if it was already installed -- and perhaps it would have the Fusion drive formatted to APFS out of the box.

Cheers.
It depends on the age of the stock, but considering the 25th is the release day for High Sierra, chances are you will just have to update it for free yourself, unless you order a BTO configuration and it gets High Sierra at the factory.

eb31460

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2017
Bordeaux - France
I don't know when... but not today. I'm awaiting too. when you place a order you can see the OS version in the recap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.