Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
The original should work with any folder. Shouldn't matter if its on an ESP or not. What's the problem? Error message? Is it not storing a .disk_label file?

IIRC it was something with processing disk image, just wanted to repeat the glitch but could not replay it. Tho I am at Mojave atm.

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
I guess MBP11,1 is 2014 which is newer than my MacPro3,1 (2008) and therefore has code to display .disk_label image instead of just "EFI Boot".

For OpenCore, there's a setting bit OC_ATTR_USE_DISK_LABEL_FILE for PickerAttributes to make it use .disk_label image instead of .contentDetails text.

Yes, my 3.1 just "ignores" .disk_label icons for ESPs, too and I made some Icons to distinguish ESPs.
The Mac Pro 5.1's firmware renders the .disk_label file.

Edit: tried the original makemultilinedisklabel in Monterey and it worked, too for ESPs.

IMG_6279.jpeg

Mac Pro 5,1 firmware 144.0.0.0.0 with multiline .disk_label for those ESPs.

Last edited:

Ausdauersportler

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2019
Late to this party, but this bug and a fix is known since 2021 when Big Sur hit the road using a new APFS implementation unknown to High Sierra.

IMHO you can avoid this problem completely when running High Sierra on an HFS+ disk.

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
Late to this party, but this bug and a fix is known since 2021 when Big Sur hit the road using a new APFS implementation unknown to High Sierra.

IMHO you can avoid this problem completely when running High Sierra on an HFS+ disk.

thanks, will add this to reference.

A HFS+ disk has no separate Preboot Volume so it can copy nothing from it to nowhere :]

back on topic:
Do you have an idea, why changing the dates like
Code:
sudo touch -t 203009110327 /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist
sudo touch -t 203009042358 /System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist
prevents High Sierra to bork the other OS' Preboots?

Since I did it no more hits on other Preboots.

btw:
The Dumper package is also on Github btw, with a document about this topic also:

Reactions: Ausdauersportler
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.